grand cru

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strebend

Reaction score
hello. newbie post on belgian wheat recipe. buddy and i brewed it up almost a month ago, and we've had it in primary fermenter since then. we still don't have 3 consecutive days of constant specific gravity readings; we're currently at 1.013, and the recipe (from Papazian, 3rd edition, p. 192-194) calls for an FG of 1.008-1.010. we read somewhere that we shouldn't have it fermenting longer than a month, but the SG is still going down. Can we bottle it even if fermentation isn't complete? or is the 1 month fermentation cap for a belgian wheat not true? THANKS!

Wheats are notorious for taking a long time to ferment, give it another week or so and RDWHAHB :mug:

deathweed said:
Wheats are notorious for taking a long time to ferment, give it another week or so and RDWHAHB :mug:
Actually, they tend to be the fastest ferments...but, if it's a slow one, let it be slow. Hurrying makes bad beer and bottle bombs.

However, I'd be willing to bet that 1.013 is the lowest it's gonna go if it's been a month. Take a reading in a day or two. If it's the same, bottle. Specific FGs are notoriously hard to achieve.

RDWHAHB!

oh, duh. relax, don't worry, have a homebrew . . . i would, but i drank all the first batch. currently drinking my 2nd trader joe's bohemian lager. not too bad. and i can reuse the bottle!

Yuri_Rage said:
Actually, they tend to be the fastest ferments...but, if it's a slow one, let it be slow. Hurrying makes bad beer and bottle bombs. RDWHAHB!
Really? I know they are conditioned rather quickly and ready to drink soon after fermentation is complete, but the last few that I have done took almost a month to finish fermenting. Humm, mabey I am doing something wrong.... Oh well, it still tastes damn good:D

Mine take 10-14 days to ferment, and I ferment at 62F. Every brew is different, you just have to use your instinct.

well - just got my second consecutive day of same readings, so i might be bottling on the weekend. thanks for the tips everyone.

Back