My First Born.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ODG34

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch yesterday. It took me while to get started because I wanted to jump right into all grain brewing and I needed to gather equipement.
My first batch I used someone elses recipe for a Winter Warmer. Overall, brew day went well. I found I need to invest in a good large funnel and strainer for filling my primary fermenter carboy but. other than that no big issues. I got my yeast starter going Friday night and it had about 32 hours go get going. I had visible yeast action in the fermenter within 7 hours of pitching the yeast so, I am very happy so far.

Here are some pics...

2013-01-13 05.40.05.jpg

2013-01-13 06.08.14.jpg

2013-01-13 07.36.15.jpg

2013-01-13 08.28.35.jpg

2013-01-13 10.07.25.jpg

Great job!

Now the hard part...you have to wait about 6-8 weeks to drink it.

I'm always impressed and a little confused when people jump right in with an all-grain brew. Just curious - why did you skip extract? Either way, that's really impressive.

Congrats and if I have one piece of advice - brew again ASAP to build your pipeline!

Thanks Guys, I can't beleive the action taking place in the fermenter! I was slightly concerned when I saw it yesterday. Waiting will not be easy.

I took a class on extract and another on all grain both on the same weekend. I decided that I would start with all grain. So far I am glad I did. I will try to post pics later.....

I plan on brewing again very soon. I need to pick up another carboy...

More pics.

2013-01-13 11.17.06.jpg

2013-01-13 17.51.07.jpg

2013-01-14 18.47.43.jpg

2013-01-14 18.48.10.jpg

I racked this batch into a scondary last night over a fresh vanilla bean. ABV worked out to be 8.1%. Even flat and warm it was delicious. Hoppy up front and then a subtle after taste of clove and allspice. YUM! Hopefully the vanilla doesn't turn out to be too much.

I racked this batch into a scondary last night over a fresh vanilla bean. ABV worked out to be 8.1%. Even flat and warm it was delicious. Hoppy up front and then a subtle after taste of clove and allspice. YUM! Hopefully the vanilla doesn't turn out to be too much.

Is the bean cut up/ split/ scraped? 1 bean should not over whelm the beer. I added 2 to a RIS and its barely coming through, but that might be from the oak being very upfront. Sounds like a great first brew!

I cut the bean in half, sliced it down the center and opened it up some. I then soaked it in a splash of vodka just to kill any unfriendlies the might be living on it.
My plan was to age this beer in the secondary for 2 weeks but, im not sure it needs much more than a week.

Well guys,

I Bottled this beer one week ago. I am partaking in a few of the 12oz bottles that I made up. Most of it went into 1 liter pop tops and a few half liter bottles.

It needs another week (at least) to carb up but. it is nice and clear and delicious so far.

Back