Headed East; Beer Recommendations please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopLife

Reaction score
So I am going to be spending the next week in North Carolina with my brother and his family. He is a homebrewer too. Anyway, I am curious what the best East Coast and Midwest beers are for someone who has hophead tendencies.

Last year I really liked the Bell's Two Hearted Ale and the Terrapin brewing IPA.

Thanks

Highland Brewing is a good all around brewery. I've never had their IPA but their oatmeal porter is great. Smuttynose is the bomb but you may have that out west already. And my obligatory Atlanta suggestion is Sweetwater.

OK. I have arrived.

So far the East has not fared well.

First off, on the west coast I never have to buy beer that is room temp. Strange. Especially at 9 and 10 dollars for a six pack. Seems like a premium product would at least get refrigeration.

I tried Dogfish head 90 minute....Oxidized with minmal hop aroma or flavor. Weak

I tried Hoptical Illusion....less oxidized with minimal hop aroma or flavor. Weak I told my bro that if you put a beer out with this name but skimped on the hops so much, out west they would burn your brewery down.

I tried Henry Weinhards IPA... Better that expected...pretty weak, tastes just like hoptical illusion.

The beers out here seem heavy compared to my local affair, Ninkasi, Bridgeport, Lagunitas Pales and IPA. It is almost like they still think an IPA should be balanced...NOT ME, I want hops.

I will try Hopsectioner, or maybe just drink my brother's homebrew. I would get the Bell's two hearted but at $10.50 a six pack it is horribly overpriced. I am used to buying Sierra Nevada Torpedo for $7.99. And given the higher gravity and higher hop flavors, surely torpedo costs more to brew. Goodbye, Bells! Great beer but I am not going to subsidize their ineffeciency.

I tried Dogfish head 90 minute....Oxidized with minmal hop aroma or flavor. Weak

As a fellow Oregonian and hophead, I'd suggest you maybe give the 90 min another try. The first time I tried a bottle was the same experience as yours; just minimal hops and overall boring with some notable oxidation. It had been bottled about 8 months previously (according to the label). I later found and tried a fresher bottle and found it to be a much more pleasant experience that was at least satiating for my hop addiction, if not quite as good (in my opinion) as some of e.g. Lagunitas' offerings. :mug:

The real trick is knowing a good beer store. While the downside of going to a place that moves a lot of craft beer is sometiems you wind up with not exactly what you want, but the positive is often it's fresh.

90 Minute should give you plenty of hops, you must have had an old bottle (BTW I've aged 90 minute and I liked the flavor it took on)

As far as warm vs frdged, depends on where you go, one liquor store by me has almost as much fridge space for the craft products as it does for the big boys. BUt others go almost all big boys. I don't really care honestly as I rarely buy beer with the intention to drink it in the next hour. Usually I get it and intend on drinking it in 2 or 3 hours at the most.

I don't really care honestly as I rarely buy beer with the intention to drink it in the next hour. Usually I get it and intend on drinking it in 2 or 3 hours at the most.

Refrigeration isn't for the sake of consumption, though, but rather preserving hop flavor/aroma and preventing staling. From what I've heard, e.g. Russian Rivers refuses to sell Pliny to any stores that can't guarantee refrigeration for the bottles, for fear of a diminished experience for the consumer (caveat, this may be myth).

Refrigeration isn't for the sake of consumption, though, but rather preserving hop flavor/aroma and preventing staling. From what I've heard, e.g. Russian Rivers refuses to sell Pliny to any stores that can't guarantee refrigeration for the bottles, for fear of a diminished experience for the consumer (caveat, this may be myth).

There is some truth to that, but hop aromas go over time anyway. Though I would believe they go slower in the fridge I can get behind that belief.

There is some truth to that, but hop aromas go over time anyway. Though I would believe they go slower in the fridge I can get behind that belief.

Oh, of course. You're only ever slowing the inevitable; it will fade with time. But it will fade significantly more slowly in a fridge than at room temp (or especially hot), if only just by the Arrhenius equation. I have tested this myself with a case of Hop Czar, in which I had half in the fridge and half in my garage, and the bottles in the fridge stayed "fresh" significantly longer (this was during the summer/fall when the garage was not colder than the refrigerator like now. :D

EDIT: The point is just that a refrigerated beer is going to stay closer to how the brewer intended for longer than an unrefrigerated one, and thus refrigeration (or cellaring) is often appreciated in craft beer.

I really recommend the Terrapin Hopsecutioner -- had that when I was out in NC last month, and it's excellent.

Some states don't allow the sale of cold beer. In Chicago you can. Over the boarder in Indy you have to buy cold.

Oh, of course. You're only ever slowing the inevitable; it will fade with time. But it will fade significantly more slowly in a fridge than at room temp (or especially hot), if only just by the Arrhenius equation. I have tested this myself with a case of Hop Czar, in which I had half in the fridge and half in my garage, and the bottles in the fridge stayed "fresh" significantly longer (this was during the summer/fall when the garage was not colder than the refrigerator like now. :D

EDIT: The point is just that a refrigerated beer is going to stay closer to how the brewer intended for longer than an unrefrigerated one, and thus refrigeration (or cellaring) is often appreciated in craft beer.

Honestly anymore I go to the breweries themselves, a bar or to my one beer source (yeah I've become that guy haha) so I've gotten good at picking out winning beers.

I understand the example, but I don't think Pliny is sold in bottles, only kegged. Or, am I wrong?

It is bottled; I've had it several times. It is very difficult to find, however. Whole Foods typically gets shipments, but you pretty much have to know the wine/beer steward to know when the shipment is coming in, 'cause it goes FAST.

russian-river-pliny-the-elder.jpg

It is bottled; I've had it several times. It is very difficult to find, however. Whole Foods typically gets shipments, but you pretty much have to know the wine/beer steward to know when the shipment is coming in, 'cause it goes FAST.

Gotcha, thanks!

According to their site, Russian River only distributes to the Pacific Coastal states, Colorado, and Philadelphia. They're not an easy brewery to find.

Yeah thanks for the comments. I think we are already going to the best craft beer outlet around here. The bottle market does not move enough volume to have fresh beer, and the prices are even higher.

Hopsecutioner is awesome, I have had it before, It is seriously good, but again it does not get refrigeration.

@ Hoppy Hippo My local grocer only gives the "Big boys" about 20 percent of the refrigeration, about the same as the red bull and Monster energy section. About 25 percent of the refrigeration is for bombers of craft brew and about 30 percent to craft beers and imports in 6 packs.

I guess I thought that the East was similar based on how strong the opinions are on the net. After experiencing NC, I can guarantee that you have to look harder to find good beer. Anyway, I am still sitting pretty because I do have access to my brother's Homebrew which is fantastic.

I may be spoiled in terms of freshness, Ninkasi self distributes as well as Oakshire. They are 1 and 5 miles from my house. Bridgeport is only 100 miles away. Sierra Nevada is starting to get farther away at about 500 miles. We also have beer distributors that specialize in Craft beer and wine, so I think they understand the importance of proper storage and freshness.

Are there any good brew pubs in Williamsburg or Surf City?

Are there any good brew pubs in Williamsburg or Surf City?

AleWerks is the only craft brewery in Williamsburg. You can always take a tour through the enormous A-B plant in Kingsmill.

You have more offerings up in Richmond, including Hardywood Park who took Bronze at GABF for their Gingerbread Stout & scored 100 on BeerAdvocate (although it may be hard to find now.) Further west is Devil's Backbone, probably the most award-winning small brewery in Virginia. I think they distribute to NC, you might want to try their Vienna Lager--not hoppy, but a gold-medal beer.

http://www.virginia.org/craftbeer/

I'm in a different area of NC, but have little problem finding quality brews. With that said, there are better regions. I love anything terrapin, I just seem to like anything they bottle.

Then one obvious one is Duck Rabbit, their Milk Stout is amazing.

I understand the example, but I don't think Pliny is sold in bottles, only kegged. Or, am I wrong?

My bottle shop carries it but only behind the counter and by "request only."

I asked why it wasn't on the shelf like all of the other great beers, she said it "would cause a riot if everybody knew."

I on the other hand would not riot to get this beer.

I guess I thought that the East was similar based on how strong the opinions are on the net.

Please tell me you are not stereotyping the entire East Coast based on a small sample size from North Carolina. Ever heard of The Alchemist or Hillfarmstead?

Southern Tier "Gemini" and "2x IPA" are 'LICIOUS as far as Ami IPAs go.

Please tell me you are not stereotyping the entire East Coast based on a small sample size from North Carolina. Ever heard of The Alchemist or Hillfarmstead?

the reality is that any gas station in my home town has better selection than a grocery store that lets you "assemble" a variety pack. Simply put it seems that the west coast buys a higher percentage of craft compared to the east and distribution and freshness seem to follow. Seriously, the best beer I have tried on the east coast was a New Belgium Ranger. Hopsecutioner was sold out, (both six packs) LOL!

No I have not heard of Hillfarmstead or The alchemist.

Where are they distributed? It seems a lot harder than rolling to the quickie mart to find the good beer. I don't doubt it is out there. But in Oregon, I could walk down the sidewalk and anybody with a beard can tell you where the best IPA lives. The east is like a mystery to me; stores shelve old beer and wouldn't even care if you complained it was oxidized. Sad.

We, may be beer snobs, but at least good beer lives on every corner.

Southern Tier "Gemini" and "2x IPA" are 'LICIOUS as far as Ami IPAs go.

Where is Southern tier brewed?

Are these truly hoppy beers? Most East coast beers have been a serious disappointment in the hop depo.

I love hops, and I don't mince words. Low alcohol, hop forward, not too bitter.

ps: AMI?

Not to sound brash, but you could continue to dwell on the whole "we have better beer out west" thing, but that will likely only skew your viewpoint of east coast / midwest beers, of which there are countless good ones. The whole east vs west thing gets old, and besides, many microbreweries all over the country are brewing styles that bridge the gap.

Depending on where you are in North Carolina and what kinds of beers you drink, you could check out Highland Brewing Company, Foothills Brewing, Big Boss brewing, Lonerider, and a bunch of others - those are just the first few that come to mind.

First off, on the west coast I never have to buy beer that is room temp. Strange. Especially at 9 and 10 dollars for a six pack. Seems like a premium product would at least get refrigeration.

Let's be honest. The (arguably) best beer store in Portland has beer on the shelves. Even the "premium products". It is impossible for a store to have a large selection and keep everything refrigerated (ans stay in business).

Where are you in NC? I think Duck Rabbit is the best beer out of NC that is widely available.

You see, everywhere else in the US people like some balance to their beer intake. So, every beer you grab is not going to be a hoppy, eat the enamel off you teeth bitter beer. You will have to be more calculated in your selection of beers if you are only looking for IPAs. Try a stout. (tongue in cheek :)).

I was in NC a few weeks ago and had 2 excellent IPAs: Hoppyum from Foot Hills and the IPA from French Broad.

It seems a lot harder than rolling to the quickie mart to find the good beer.
It all depends upon exactly where you were at, which is probably the same all over the country. Where I'm at in NY it's very easy to get good beer most anywhere. I'm actually surprised often by the selection I see in stores and restaurants.

I am near Surf City and Jacksonville. Next to Camp Lejune.

I have read a bunch of threads and articles about the differences between east and west in terms of having more of a hop profile out west. I have also read that the east can make just as hoppy of a beer as the west. So far the only one that stood up to my taste test is hopsecutioner. When I buy a beer named after hops or that says it has a ton of hops I feel that it should live up to the name.

Some people like a hoppy beer. It will not remove the enamel from your teeth, I associate that with bitterness. Hop flavors can be a great range of flavors some are quite pleasant and even sweet.

As for a grocer not being able to keep beer cold. I do not understand. If you were at my local quickie mart you would see that beer sits in the walk in cooler. I never get oxidized, old, or stale beer.

I guess the craft thing just isn't big in this little town or something.

Oh yeah, and if a topic is "old" you can read something else. These threads are where many of us find new beers to try. See OP.

Dude...
Victory Hop Devil, Victory Hop Wallop, Smuttynose Big A IPA, Southern Tier Un*Earthly, Alchemist Heady Topper, Weyerbacher Double Simco

The problem is not that you are in the east, it's that you're not far enough north. New England has been making incredible IPA's since before the word "light" was only a twinkle in Jim Koch's eyes. It's just gotten kinda old. Honestly though, I've lived on both coasts and neither one is "better" than the other, your choices are just different. To get those choices, you need to go to a beer or liquor store. We don't buy good beer in convenience stores. Hell, I'm not sure I even did that when I lived in LA. We had BevMo there and 90% of the beer was warm on the shelves, just like here, which btw is not a bad thing. Non-rediculohoppy beers get better as they get older and aging quickens at room temp. Had a 2007 Hairy Eyeball the other night. It was not cold by any means when it was brought to me and holy cow was it good. Had a 10yr old barley wine homebrew recently that was also at room temp. Still good, quite yummy.

HopLife said:
OK. I have arrived.

So far the East has not fared well.

I tried Hoptical Illusion....less oxidized with minimal hop aroma or flavor. Weak I told my bro that if you put a beer out with this name but skimped on the hops so much, out west they would burn your brewery down.

I tried Henry Weinhards IPA... Better that expected...pretty weak, tastes just like hoptical illusion.

The beers out here seem heavy compared to my local affair, Ninkasi, Bridgeport, Lagunitas Pales and IPA. It is almost like they still think an IPA should be balanced...NOT ME, I want hops.

I will try Hopsectioner, or maybe just drink my brother's homebrew. I would get the Bell's two hearted but at $10.50 a six pack it is horribly overpriced. I am used to buying Sierra Nevada Torpedo for $7.99. And given the higher gravity and higher hop flavors, surely torpedo costs more to brew. Goodbye, Bells! Great beer but I am not going to subsidize their ineffeciency.

Harvey weinhards is Oregon iirc and it's blech boring. Bells two hearted is excellent stuff usually. If you can find long trail, their unfiltered IPA, IPA and pale ale are excellent. Way above average.

Highland - Gaelic Ale - my favorite all time beer. If you are in Asheville they give tours of their brewery that is very informative.

Asheville Pizza and Brewing Co. - you can't by this at the store but if you have a chance to get to downtown Asheville this is a must stop. Plus they have great pizza.

Sweetwater - 420 - a beer that I really miss since I moved to Illinois. It isn't overly hoppy but there is still enough to make you mouth hoppy - pun intended

Duck Rabbit - Milk Stout - a really smooth stout. One of the best stouts I've ever had.

If you are in the Triangle area you should try and stop by Triangle Brewing. I believe it is Chapel Hill, but they make some really unique beers. A Chipotle IPA and a Raspberry Coffee Stout are two that I remember.

Harvey weinhards is Oregon iirc and it's blech boring. Bells two hearted is excellent stuff usually. If you can find long trail, their unfiltered IPA, IPA and pale ale are excellent. Way above average.

Weinhards does not sell well in my state even though it is our product. Few stores stock it anymore. I had never seen the IPA until I came out here, and yes I found that very strange. The brand went downhill after they were acquired by Bud.

I have had two hearted and I agree it is very good. But really $10.50 a sixer. I am searching for more good beers and the suggestions have been really helpful. I have not seen "long trail."

Dude...
Victory Hop Devil, Victory Hop Wallop, Smuttynose Big A IPA, Southern Tier Un*Earthly, Alchemist Heady Topper, Weyerbacher Double Simco

The problem is not that you are in the east, it's that you're not far enough north. New England has been making incredible IPA's since before the word "light" was only a twinkle in Jim Koch's eyes. It's just gotten kinda old. Honestly though, I've lived on both coasts and neither one is "better" than the other, your choices are just different. To get those choices, you need to go to a beer or liquor store. We don't buy good beer in convenience stores. Hell, I'm not sure I even did that when I lived in LA. We had BevMo there and 90% of the beer was warm on the shelves, just like here, which btw is not a bad thing. Non-rediculohoppy beers get better as they get older and aging quickens at room temp. Had a 2007 Hairy Eyeball the other night. It was not cold by any means when it was brought to me and holy cow was it good. Had a 10yr old barley wine homebrew recently that was also at room temp. Still good, quite yummy.

I think I tried the sweatwater IPA thinking it was the smuttynose. I will have to find the real deal.

I prefer flavors that are not associated with aging, just my preference. I seem to really like hop flavors when fresh and still aromatic. After my first interaction with this thread I was told to start checking shelf dating to avoid old beer, something I have never done back home. There seems to be a lot more to know to find good beers. When I get back I will post some pics so you don't think I am coming way out of left field.

Weinhards does not sell well in my state even though it is our product. Few stores stock it anymore. I had never seen the IPA until I came out here, and yes I found that very strange. The brand went downhill after they were acquired by Bud.

I have had two hearted and I agree it is very good. But really $10.50 a sixer. I am searching for more good beers and the suggestions have been really helpful. I have not seen "long trail."

two hearted is $12.99 a sixer at my local place... if they have it at all. $`10.50 sounds like a good deal to me. I'm also in NJ and EVERYTHING is expensive here, especially beer and cigarettes (not that I smoke)

two hearted is $12.99 a sixer at my local place... if they have it at all. $`10.50 sounds like a good deal to me. I'm also in NJ and EVERYTHING is expensive here, especially beer and cigarettes (not that I smoke)

Ouch... I know that NY/ NJ are expensive. But here in NC the economy and cost of living are similar to OR. I am used to 6.99 on sale and 7.99 standard price for good beer. Premium brands like Rogue, HUB and Ninkasi are generally 8.99 or on sale for 8.48. I have never in my life paid $10 for 6 12 oz standard gravity beers.

I see Lagunitas Daytime on the shelf at $9.49 in my local grocer and because of the high price we are one of the few areas that it is still available for distribution. Heard an interview with steele and he thought he had the last bottles available.

Well, after trying appx 8 east coast beers with distribution in this little town I realize how open the east is. My bro brews an IPA, Pale, and Porter that stand well against dogfishead 90, Sierra Nevada pale, and Deschuttes Black butte. Considering my experiences at pubs, restaurants and grocery, there is plenty of room for both production brewing and brewpubs in this area. Within 60 miles there is only one brewery. Locally I would be looking at 10 to 12 competitors for similar population (plus more extensive distribution).

Back