Bravo & Northern Brewer, what to brew with them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzno

Reaction score
I just acquired some Bravo & Northern Brewer hops and was wondering how I should use them? I'm fairly new to brewing and am wondering if these are complimentary to each other or should I use them in separate brews? I lean towards the IPA variety, is there a good recipe someone can point me to that I can use these in? Much thanks! :mug:

Northern Brewer is a good hop. I mainly use it in California Common (steam) beer with Wyeast 2112. I really like to almost hop-burst at the very end of the boil with them. It is a repeat recipe. I can't comment on Bravo as I haven't used it.

I used Bravo as a single hop in a hop bursted APA, and it turned out pretty good.

It was an extract test brew, 30 minutes and done (2.5 gallon batch). You can just make a regular APA and use Bravo for all the hops.

Northern Brewer is very underrated. My experience with the hop makes me think that it is like willamette on steroids. Enhanced floral, herbal, woodsy with mint and citrus undertones. Northern brewer is a great hop for stouts and porters all the way but my favorite way to use it is in conjuction with some other hops.....centennial, cascade, etc....etc........late in the boil for pale ales.

Cali common all the way with the northern brewer. One of my favorite styles, easy drinking, great flavor and you can find some good recipes on this site.

Great suggestions! Thanks for your input everyone. I think I see a Cali Common and an APA in my future!

Back