muntons says 6, HBS says 5, huh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i suppose I could go get a hydrometer, but im not sure it will help considering i never checked the grav before hand

I would definitely recommend one. A lot of people will say you don't need it but personally I think it's an excellent tool. As you say it won't help much on this brew since you don't have an OG reading but it will definitely help with your next batch.

Ok, I pulled a 1.012, slightly lower then 2% alcohol. The label on the muntons can says "fermentation will be finished when yadda yadda..., or if you have a hydrometer, when the gravity remains constant below 1008 degrees".

what the difference between the 1000-degree scale and the 1.000 scale, are they same with a moved decimal?

Is it finished? 2% alcohol doesn't sound like its finished.

You have to know the starting gravity and the final gravity to determine tha alcohol %. Your kit was probably intended to be about 5% so you'll be pretty close to that.

1.012 is pretty well done. Check it in a day or 2 and if it hasn't dropped more then move to secondary for clearing or bottle.

Using a hydromter

alright, but for future reference, how do you convert 1008 degrees to the hydrometer scale?

my second batch was a can of mutons cerveza. HBS guy said same thing and be being "smarter" than him figured I would jsut follow the diretions for now. came out fine just a little weak (hence leaving out the gallon of water) poor carbonation and watered down tasting. BUT you can chug the stuff like crazy

bottled today! im gonna try the nut brown next. anyone else here use irish moss to help do some clearing?

You can only use irish moss if you do a boil. I use it every batch, some people don't use it at all. If you decide to do a boil, add it in the last 15 minutes.

Guys,

I am a newbie and this post cleared up the questions I had about the Muntons all-in-one kit. Does anybody know of an all-in-one kit that is better than Muntons?

Shaun

luxbrewing said:
...I am a newbie and this post cleared up the questions I had about the Muntons all-in-one kit. Does anybody know of an all-in-one kit that is better than Muntons?...
In my experience they're all basically the same (though I've only used Coopers and Muntons). They will both make good beer if you replace the dextrose with DME. You will want to replace the muntons yeast with a better one if you do that though.

Personally I make the coopers kits - I like them a little bit better and I think you get a little more in he can too hehhe.

Some good coopers styles I like are the IPA and Australian draft. There is pretty much a style t meet every diffeent type of flavor you like.

Cheers

I am also having questions on the all-in-one kit by Muntons and am using it for my second batch ever. I have read all the books I could get my hands on so I versed in the process but the Kit is drastically different than what I have read. From what I have read on the forums this should do the trick for a good batch:

1 Can of Muntons all in one.
1 LB additional Dry Malt Extract.
Should Yield about 5 gallons.

If anyone could just confirm or add to this it would appreciative. How much water should I add to compensate for boil off?

Thanks!

luxbrewing said:
I am also having questions on the all-in-one kit by Muntons and am using it for my second batch ever. I have read all the books I could get my hands on so I versed in the process but the Kit is drastically different than what I have read. From what I have read on the forums this should do the trick for a good batch:

1 Can of Muntons all in one.

If anyone could just confirm or add to this it would appreciative. How much water should I add to compensate for boil off?

Thanks!

You are going to want some hops in there I imagine. Is your LME (Liquid Malrt Extract) pre-hopped?

Otherwise you are describing a basic (English) Pale Ale, can be a mighty fine session beer. Next step up the sophistication ladder would be to steep and strain about a half pound of Crystal 40.

As far as evaporation rate, your stove and your brew kettle will have a small range of evaporation rates that varies a little with humidity and temperature.

The folks brewing outdoors really see this in the dead of winter when the surrounding air is cold and dry.

Indoors on a kitchen stove brewing extract I would go for 2.5 gallons on an electric, maybe 3.5 on a gas stove and see if your stove can bring it to a boil.

luxbrewing said:
...1 Can of Muntons all in one.

If it's one of those kit&kilo cans you need more than 1lbs of DME. I used 1.2KG of DME in place of the dextrose and they turned out pretty well. I just boiled the DME in 6L of water for 15 minutes since you just needed to sterilize it. 1.2KG of DME was for 23L (6 gallons) are per the can directions. 1KG of DME would probably be good for 5 gallons.

Yea Brad hit it right on your gonna wanna to use a Kilo of DME - and it will turn out fine - if you want to use liquid malt extract just go ahead and use 3 extra pounds.

I wouldnt recomend boiling thos kits either. What I do is heat the water up to a slow boil take the water off the heat - stir in the can of muntons - stir in your malt extract and then put it back on medium heat for 10 minutes (dont boil it just keep it hot enugh that everything is sanitize). Pour the mixture in your fermenter - add cold cold water to bring the temp down to about 70f topping up to 23 liter mark - and then pitch your yeast - voila your done :)

Alright I am going to Brew on Saturday with the Muton's Connoisseurs all in one kit. After visiting the website it is Pre-hopped. I have included the Munton's information to see if it will help, but I am still going to add 1kg of DME for 5 gallons, is this still a good idea? My second brew, first all on my own just want to make sure this kit doesn't turn out like crap. Also will use better yeast! Thanks!

"The Muntons Connoisseurs Range has been formulated to brew strong beers emulating beer styles from around the world.

Each Beer kit contains 1.8kg of 100% hopped malt extract - and in common with all Muntons beer kits, no cheap barley syrup is used in their manufacture. With the Connoisseurs range you will be able to experience taste sensations including Wheat Beer modelled on the best German Weizen style beers, Bock - the distinctive dark lager of Bavaria, Export Stout - a classic full-bodied hoppy stout and a wide range of other style beers."

luxbrewing said:
...1kg of DME for 5 gallons, is this still a good idea?...
Yup!

...Each Beer kit contains 1.8kg of 100% hopped malt extract - and in common with all Muntons beer kits, no cheap barley syrup is used in their manufacture....
No cheap barley syrup is used, but please add lots of corn sugar! :confused::D

man...this is a long thread. i couldn't read it all but i can give my opinion.

it's your first batch. brew it ALL up and be happy you're using malt extract instead of dextrose...should be a decent beer!

:mug:

Back