Shaking it up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfidd

Reaction score
What about stirring or shaking the mix halfway through the primary fermentation cycle? I notice there is a lot gunk in the bottom after the first week in the primary. Is there any unreacted sugars there that is not being utilized?

Yeah, I know "cheap bastard", but I already lose 1/2 gallon or more with the sediment and now if I am losing a bit of alcohol potential, where will it stop?

Rick

If your fermentation has stalled due to cold or such, sometimes a slight swirling of the carboy can help rouse everything back up when you bring it to temp....if your fermentation is proceeding as anticipated, I don't really see the need to muck with it. YMMV

unless you have a circumstance where you need to start the fermentation up again you are just asking for oxidization. I would leave it alone!

An extremely bad idea, unless you have a stuck fermentation (see hydrometer). Even then, you would just swirl it a bit, not agitate.

Obsess on flavor not getting every last gram of booze.

rfidd said:
Yeah, I know "cheap bastard", but I already lose 1/2 gallon or more with the sediment and now if I am losing a bit of alcohol potential, where will it stop?

Rick

How big of a batch size do you shoot for? If you are looking for a five gal finish volume, then you should shoot for 5.5gal wort volume going in to your primary. that would make up for any losses. Also IMO i wouldn't agitate the beer at this state, it will get mad at you and could taste like cardboard.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back