Belgian Tripel Secondary Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orion2598

Reaction score
Hello everyone. New to posting, but have been lingering for awhile.

For my third batch of extract brew, I decided I needed something a bit stronger for springtime. :) I bought a tripel extract kit from my local homebrew store, and brewed it up on Saturday. I made a yeast starter with some DME and the Wyeast trappist yeast the kit came with. The brew was bubbling in the primary within 12 hours and had krausen coming out the top of the bucket in 24. OG was 1.090 Temperature has been a constant 67 degrees.

Anyway, their instructions state to put in secondary after 1-2 days and then bottle in 10. Of course, I plan on letting this sit a bit longer. I transferred to the secondary today after the krausen died down. The secondary is still bubbling away, and we are at 1.040. My question is this:

I plan on putting this in the basement for a few months (about 62 degrees). Should I let it stay at the current 67 degrees for a few more days so the yeasties can do thier job without having to deal with the thermal change, or can I just put it in the basement now and leave it for 3 months? I want to make sure the fermentation has time to finish, but I don't want any off flavors from too much time in the higher temp (if that is even possible?)

Thanks in advance!

Greg

Directions say to put a 1.090 beer into secondary after 1 to 2 days? Did it say weeks, or days? If this thing is at 1.040, you still have some time to let this go at 67 deg F before moving to the basement. I'd let this finish out to the FG, then transfer to secondary (or call it tertiary now, whatever) and then move to the basement for some time. Then bottle, age some more, and enjoy!

Latest posts

Back