What do you make your starter in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SevenFields

Reaction score
Im curious what people use to make their starter?
I have been using a tall skinny flower vase, but have been thinking about using something else

until recently I just used quart sized mason jars with tin foil caps. Just gave them a swirl whenever I thought about them or walked by. Now I have a 2000 mL flask that I use.

I use a vase that's about 1L. If I need a larger starter I make it directly in a 1gal stainless pot or one of my leftever LME buckets.

Beer bottle. Especially if I'm harvesting from the bottle. I'll just pour out the beer (into a glass and then into my mouth) and then add the wort to the bottle. Then I'll transfer to a 1 gallon juice jug if I want to bump up the starter size or split it for two batches.
For my next few batches I'm planning on harvesting from the bottle, transferring to the 1 gallon to make a 1 gallon six pack of session beer (probably an ordinary bitter), then transferring that to my 3 gallon carboy for an APA and then to the 6.5 gallon carboy for the same APA recipe but with hop substitutions. Maybe then I'll make a really big beer with that yeast cake.

You can use almost anything, glass or plastic. I posted some unique looking vessels on some thread a couple years back. I've seen all sorts stuff, including a beer pint glass. Especially if you use tinfoil instead of a stopper/airlock. Whatever works.

I have a 1L 2L 4L and 5L flask that I use for my starters. Love take it from boiling on the stove to an ice bath in one container.

DSCN1237.jpg
[/IMG]

As Revy said, you can use just about anything.

I found that a qt. size gatorade bottle works great. I leave the lid loose while it's fermenting and tighten it up whenever I go by and give it a shake.;)

Bull

As Revy said, you can use just about anything.

I found that a qt. size gatorade bottle works great. I leave the lid loose while it's fermenting and tighten it up whenever I go by and give it a shake.;)

Bull

I do the same thing with a 2L growler that has a screw top. Works like a charm.

My immersion chiller fits right inside my stock pot. I make my starter there, chill and then transfer to a 3 gallon corny and pitch. Once my starter is ready, I decant in place using CO2 with a special longer bent dip tube (I put a couple o-rings and pinch it with my fingers at the post to make a seal, so I can move the dip tube up and down...) till I see the color change lighter, then I cap it off. After that point, everything is closed system. I leave some liquid in there so I can shake er up, then push the starter into the fermenter w/ CO2. The corny then serves as my top cropping yeast harvester, and after that's done, the blow-off tube goes to the bottom dump to bottom crop (after a StarSan spray of all things). I put the spunding valve on the gas out of the fermenter at that point to do pressurized ferments (or not, it goes down to .5 PSI).

Has worked fantastic so far.

1 Gallon Pickle Jar, but getting the stirbar spinning in that bugger is a real chore sometimes!

+1 on using the Erlenmyer flasks. Last week starting on Monday night, I started a multi step starter that used my 1 L, 4 L, and 5 L flasks on a stir plate to step one whack pack up to a pitch rate of 80 million cells/ml in the 15 gallon batch that I brewed on Saturday. It worked great. I had a vigorous rolling ferment within 3 hours of pitching. They really are convenient to use.

Back