newcastle clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slim83

Reaction score
Grains: 2 oz Simpsons Dark Crystal

2 oz CaraVienna

2 oz Chocolate Malt

1 oz Black Malt

2 oz carapils

Extract: 3 lbs. Lag. DME - Light

2 lbs. Lag. DME - Dark

1 lb. Dark Brown Sugar

Hops: 1 oz Target - 60min

.5 oz Kent Goldings - 15 min

.5 oz Kent Goldings - 1 min

Yeast: Windsor

I found this on google and really want to try it I love newcastle I was wondering if I should make any changes or leave it alone

Heres mine
1.048 OG
1.012 FG

6 oz. chocolate malt
4 oz. 60L crystal

60 minutes 1 OZ. Challenger

15 minutes 1/2 OZ. East Kent Goldings

Now the first time i did it i used winsor,and it tasted ok.The second time i used White labs British Ale 005,and it made all the difference.

I treid a new castle recently and was amazed.

I would have guessed
10 lbs pale 2 row
8 oz crystal 60L

I seemed watered down from what I remembered.

Maybe I got a bad sixer.

Personally, I would not use Windsor. Anything but, IMO... now this all depends on your mash temp, but windor will usually (grain of salt) come out quite sweet with all your fermentables from grain & MaltExtracts, and sweet is not what I taste in a newcastle. Malty, yes... maybe a higher mash temp (like 158) with us-05 or notty (if you can get Notty to ferment for you that is). I only have experience with dry yeast.

No, Newcastle tastes like lightly flavored water!

I hate it when someone asks about a recipe and then some ass asks "why the hell are you brewing that???"......

But....well..........you get it.;)

My caramel maerzen is what new castle would be if it was twice as much malt and flavor.

I hate it when someone asks about a recipe and then some ass asks "why the hell are you brewing that???"......

But....well..........you get it.;)

My caramel maerzen is what new castle would be if it was twice as much malt and flavor.

I just brewed a 'clone' on Sunday... Rogue Dead Guy Ale. Though, the kit was developed along with Rogue, so maybe clone isn't the right word.

If I was going to make a Newcastle clone, I'd probably modify it by adding lots of extra hops and an extra pound or two of light DME to make it drinkable.

My next 5 gallon batch is going to be a nut brown ale kit, and I am planning on doing the same thing.

oh wow im not the only one brewing this/trying to anyways your recipe looks good why so little hops though? not that im saying i know anything man.

Latest posts

Back