help, to much metasulfite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewtroll

Reaction score
while pressing my apples last week we had some of the old cider. told the bother in law to add the metasulfite. it was to be at 1/4 teaspoon to the 5 gl but it ended up as 1/4 a gl so 1 1/4teaspone in six gl. I found this out when the yeast would not take after pitching and repitching. had to ask how much slufite was used. I put it in the beer boiler and heated it to a simmer not a boil and cooled it then repitched yeast but still no fermenting . i thoought heat might deactivate the sulfite. do i need to boil it or is it fertalizer for the lawn now?

The sulfite will eventually dissipate, but I don't know how quickly. Splashing and stirring alot will help it go away. It still might take a while though.

Yooper is right, splashing and aerating should help. Another more radical solution is hydrogen peroxide which binds SO2 strongly, but can ruin cider if you use too much. I'm wondering if you rehydrated your yeast?

it is in the grass now. I had used liquid yeast and rehydrated dry put it is done now. durring the week it found a bacteria that was at home. when i opened the fermenter today it had a slime on top. so out it went. LIVE AND LEARN. read twice, drink once. lost a whole day of picking ,crushing and pressing. oh my there sure are a lot of apples this year. i'll try again.

Back