Marking your brewpot for volume! How do you do it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took a piece of copper pipe and some sharkbite fittings. Marked each gallon from 3 to 13 and it took 3 brews to dial in for a 60ish minute boil and 5gal in my fermenter.

Why take the extra step of another piece of equipment? Just mark your brewpot, it's simple and effective.

DSCN1835.jpg

sorry to resurrect a long dead thread, but I'm shocked the obvious question about wildwest's marking method hasn't been asked!

What did you use to mark it..and does it wear off in time? Does it wear off in your wort, or mostly just from washing w/ PBW/oxy?

I really like the simplest ideas, but I am a little leary of ending up with sharpie in my wort.

What did you use to mark it..and does it wear off in time? Does it wear off in your wort, or mostly just from washing w/ PBW/oxy?

first off, i weighed weigh a half gallon of water at a time, added it in, carefully find each point on the outside wall, mark with sharpie. then put the pot over a wooden "anvil", a log or something, and use a whittled down blunt piece of hardwood as a punch and mark a dimple in the metal that shows up inside and outside. You could do this from the inside or outside, just be careful it just barely dents the metal and doesn't poke through. It will be hard to see, but will never wear off.
Personally, I don't have a problem with also marking the inside. I'm not afraid of sharpie poisoning.
be careful that the pot is perfectly level when calibrating and marking. Maybe mark both sides (or 4?) so you can be sure it is level when using it.

Back