Kegs lead to Drunkeness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budbo

Beer is good
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I noticed yesterday drinking glasses of Homebrew all day that I drank way more than normal because there were no bottles stacking up to give perspective.. anyone else ever notice this phenomenon

I don't have kegs, but my closest comparison is how I drink quite a bit more when we get pitchers out with friends. Not having to wait until the waitress comes back in order to get a refill makes me drink much faster :drunk:

I definitely noticed that when I started kegging...it's way too easy to get off work and say "I'll just have one glass". Next thing you know, you're sleeping under the coffee table.

Sometimes I may drink more because of "keg-ease" but I actually think less typically. I used to always bottle in 22's and if one wasn't quite enough I'd have to drink the whole next bottle. With my keg I can just get a 'bit more'.

That's what I've noticed: because I can control the portion size I can have a short one instead of a whole one.

The one thing kegging really did was make me aware that I needed to have and stick to a brewing schedule. With bottles you could see the supply dwindling but with kegs, unless you are dilligent about checking, the last of the home brew can rather abruptly show itself.

I also enjoy the ability to control the amount that I can consume. If I opened a 16 oz bottle I was obligated to drink the whole thing even if I just wanted a taste. That is not an issue with having beer on tap.

The only problem I have had with my beer on tap occurred last Saturday when my wife's 3 brothers (read drunks) came over. They were drunk when they got to the house. I could have served them straight urine in a glass with a lime spritzer and they wouldn't have noticed, but no, they had to almost kill my keg of precious IPA. They did say it was the best beer they had ever tasted, but in their condition, the compliment rang a little hollow.

John

budbo said:
So I noticed yesterday drinking glasses of Homebrew all day that I drank way more than normal because there were no bottles stacking up to give perspective.. anyone else ever notice this phenomenon

Yeah, I know what you mean, just don't let them empty kegs stack up next to the bottles.:p

keg deficit sucks.

kornkob said:
The one thing kegging really did was make me aware that I needed to have and stick to a brewing schedule. With bottles you could see the supply dwindling but with kegs, unless you are dilligent about checking, the last of the home brew can rather abruptly show itself.

That's why you need to have some extra kegs and keep some homebrew in reserve. Earlier this year I had as many as 5 kegs in reserve. As you can see in my sig, I'm now down to one. I gotta get brewing, but there's no time to brew in summer!:cross:

johnsma22 said:
I could have served them straight urine in a glass with a lime spritzer and they wouldn't have noticed, but no, they had to almost kill my keg of precious IPA.

Sounds like you need to keep a "Special" keg around just for the bro-in-laws.

:rolleyes:

When you have seven or eight kegs on tap, it's a good idea to use a small glass. I like to use a smaple glass from a fest, they run 4 oz. My biggest problem with too much homebrew is going to a meeting or event & sampling a few dozen ales. Even half a sample glass adds up eventually. That's why I take the RV to HopMadness!

That’s funny! I thought that only happened @ my place. Yeah the kegs went really fast when I first started kegging. It was fun, but then I would wind up with no beer and a waiting period before I would have more that was ready. Now I keep two in the kegerator and a few conditioning on hand. I finally have a good rotation happening haven’t run out of beer. I've also noticed I have more patience while waiting for a new brew to reach the conditioning phase.

I hardly drink commercial beer these days. They give me a wicked hang over now If I over indulge a bit. We preformed some “tests” at my apartment and concluded one can get smashed on homebrew and feel good in the morning. After the novelty of the kegerator wore off, consumption declined a bit. But that’s ok, there is plenty where that came from!!

Cheers!

I used to buy 8 cans of beer at a time and then feel obliged to drink the lot (then hit the port but that's another story!). Since going back to homebrew and kegging I have certainly drunk a lot of beer but I rarely drink as much in one go.

Kegging makes beer more available than I need it to be but it does alow me to have a top up rather than finishing one to make room for the next.

hmm...Sunday afternoon and I dont have jack to do today. And knowing I have half a keg left has been on my mind for a couple hours now. Im not sure if I want to tear into it or not.

Dennys Fine Consumptibles said:
HALF a keg left?! Isn't that the when on a Sunday with nothing to do you should be brewing another batch?

i know, i know.....

But I did do 2 last weekend, so Im justifying not brewing this weekend with that.

I have now tapped into the keg, and its tasting mighty good. So maybe we'll see some posting under the influence shortly.

Runking dramblings? ;)

Ok so we'll let you off since you brewed 2 batches last week...

Trying to brew a heffe using the slurry form two imports. Hope that works or it will be a "American Wheat beer" instead. Although mine has 30% rye, 40% wheat, 10% buckwheat and the rest is munich 10.

i tried a Sun Rye Hefe at Johnny Corinos last night. I wasnt too impressed with their recipe. Im sure you will put it to shame though

Back