Started crushing, called off brewday, ordered barly crusher!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punk_rockin2001

Reaction score
So I'm narrowing down my "mistakes" in all of my last batches and the main culprits have been poor crush, off water temps, and off fermentation temps. Today I started a batch and was determined to get the crush better after seeing pics and reading up on the correct crush. Well I use a victoria crusher/mill and discovered that the "crush" I have been getting is about 30% intact 30% flour, and 60% ok crush. Since I couldn't make it any better than that I decided to just call it off and order the real deal and try again later. Astringency has been a problem in every batch I've ever made and I think the crush is the culprit. The reviews for the barley crusher are awesome, so I'm really excited! :ban:

Shameless plugs are a part of having a successful business!
I plug my stuff on every gun forum on the internet!

You will not be disappointed! The BC is amazing... my efficiency went from 63% to a consistent 80% within two batches...Enjoy!

I think that equals 120%. That sure is one way to stretch your grain dollar. :D

I thought I was the only one checking the math. Barley Crushers are the whip, I got mine from the mfg. direct with no shipping cost. Of course, I live about 20 miles from the mfg, so that explains the shipping cost. I also received some free advice on setting it up, as well as care and maintenance and I have not looked back.
(now let's see if I get ripped for my abuse of the English language.

I thought I was the only one checking the math. Barley Crushers are the whip, I got mine from the mfg. direct with no shipping cost. Of course, I live about 20 miles from the mfg, so that explains the shipping cost. I also received some free advice on setting it up, as well as care and maintenance and I have not looked back.
(now let's see if I get ripped for my abuse of the English language.

Your post reads as if you're soliciting criticism of your writing.......but in comparison with most of what I read on the Internet on a daily basis, it isn't bad. So- I'll refrain.

I would be interested on what the Barley Crusher manufacturer told you in the way of setup & maintenance that isn't covered in the standard instructions. Feel free to elucidate......

wasting the work day on homebrewtalk.com - $0
failing to remember vocabulary lessons from school - $0
Reason to go to thesaurus.com to look something up.......priceless

Elucidate - what to say when "explain in detail" just isn't enough.

Back