SS kettles off eBay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup. I have the exact same kettle. I've only used it about 5-6 times but its a decent kettle for the price. I also have the same 11 gallon Bayou Classic as you too!

I noticed that these cheaper no-name brands don't seem to have tri-clad bottoms (aluminum sandwiched between 2 SS layers).

Have you noticed any difference or burning with your brews on the 15 gal?

nickmv said:
I noticed that these cheaper no-name brands don't seem to have tri-clad bottoms (aluminum sandwiched between 2 SS layers).

Have you noticed any difference or burning with your brews on the 15 gal?

Does the bayou classic have a tri-clad bottom? I haven't noticed any difference at all between them. I have them setup almost the exact same way and am very happy with both of them.

I am looking at the 20 gallon version of these pots, so far they seem fine but I would love to hear more info on them.

I am looking at the 20 gallon version of these pots, so far they seem fine but I would love to hear more info on them.

My interest waned after I discovered dual NPT-port welded models going for maybe 30 bucks more than the non-ported ones, from moreBeer.

Must....resist....kettles.

My interest waned after I discovered dual NPT-port welded models going for maybe 30 bucks more than the non-ported ones, from moreBeer.

Must....resist....kettles.

Couldn't find any 20 gallons on their site. I wanted a 20 so I could easily biab 10 gallon batches, even big one. I bet a 15 would work but I would hate to get a 15 and realize I am right at the top while full volume mashing.

Not to thread jack, but I was in the same predicament as you. After seeing a post by Jimmy_B related to a modified 2-vessel approach to BIAB, I decided to go with a 15g SS Bayou Classic with steamer basket from Ama$on and a 100qt cooler from Walmart.

I haven't tried it yet, but I think it will give me the flexibility to do both 5g and 10g BIAB batches while reducing my equipment costs. FWIW.

Couldn't find any 20 gallons on their site. I wanted a 20 so I could easily biab 10 gallon batches, even big one. I bet a 15 would work but I would hate to get a 15 and realize I am right at the top while full volume mashing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two of the 15 gallon versions. One is a MLT, one is a boil kettle. They work just fine. They are sturdier than the price would lead you to believe. I paid $130 shipped for one, and $100 shipped for the either. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Personally I feel that tri-clad bottoms aren't needed in a homebrew kettle. You won't see any more noticeable kettle carmelization. If Blichmann doesn't sell tri-clad kettles, I probably don't need one.

I have two of the 15 gallon versions. One is a MLT, one is a boil kettle. They work just fine. They are sturdier than the price would lead you to believe. I paid $130 shipped for one, and $100 shipped for the either. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Personally I feel that tri-clad bottoms aren't needed in a homebrew kettle. You won't see any more noticeable kettle carmelization. If Blichmann doesn't sell tri-clad kettles, I probably don't need one.

Yeah, and I kinda just realized that I need to upgrade my burner, as my 11gal Bayou fits my burner's "tabs" just perfectly. I'll probably snag an Adventures with Homebrewing burner and a 15gal double NPT ported SS kettle, and add on 3piece valve and sightglass-temp combo.

Crap.....what have I done? I'm reserving money I don't have yet.

Back