HBT NFL '08 thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
Here are some of my observations early into the '08 offseason after week 1:

Preseason means nothing - the Lions are in for a long season.

Tom Brady is likely out for the year, but the Patriots have the league's easiest schedule and will still win at least 10 games.

The Redskins offense looked horrible against the Giants. Jim Zorn better light a fire under some butts or they're going to be in the basement of the NFC East.

Peyton Manning is not 100% yet. The Bears have a solid defense, but under 260 yards and no TD's? The Colts miss Jeff Saturday a ton.

The Saints offense looks very good with Duece out and Shockey playing a minor role. I'd be surprised if they're not in the playoff hunt.

John Fox and the Panthers showed teams how to hang with the Chargers yesterday. Granted they needed a last play miracle to win, but they held the league's best RB to under 100 yards and no TD's.

Despite the predictions and last year's performance, the Browns did not look like a team that's ready for the playoffs.

As much as I hate to say it, the Cowboys looked VERY good yesterday.

The Bills could very well contend for the AFC eat and a wildcard spot. Their thrashing of the Seahawks was probably the most impressive thing that I saw in week 1.

Michael Turner looks like the real deal. Great pickup for Tom Dimitroff and the Falcons. As long as Matt Ryan doesn't lose games for them, they'll be much improved over last season.

The Steelers flat out dominated a Texans team that was supposed to contend for a wild card. The Texans may still do so, but the Steelers looked *very* good on defense with Willy Parker lighting it up and, as usual, with Roethlisberger doing just enough to help his team win. The only competition the Steelers will have for the AFC North will come from the Ravens.

Here's to what should be 2 good games tonight. :mug: I need the Packers defense to give up a ton of points and not get any turnovers to beat olllllo in fantasy football. :D

Damn I love football season.

Yeah I got destroyed by the Bears defense in my FF league, I think they put up something like 14 points! Aside from that, I thought the Eagles looked very impressive. If McNabb can stay healthy, the Eagles might be off to the Super Bowl.

I forgot all about the Eagles. Their offense was smokin' yesterday. They always seem to have 1 or two games like that a year though. I'll need to see where they are in another 4 weeks before I'm too impressed.

You forgot to mention that Vince Young is an overrated crybaby. And until the stupid Ford's sell the Lions to a capable owner, every season will be a long season. Yes I was born in Michigan, I still root in vain for the Lions, but rest my superbowl hopes on the Titans. Long live football. OB, your Buckeye's didn't look so good on Saturday, the Wolverines will shock the world on November 22.:rolleyes:

I thought I saw that Young was injured yesterday... any details?

:off: I have a hard time rooting for the Titans ever sine '99 and the Music City Debacle.

I thought I saw that Young was injured yesterday... any details?

:off: I have a hard time rooting for the Titans ever sine '99 and the Music City Debacle.

They say he's out for 2-4 weeks. The Music City Miracle was awesome!

Yup, VY is supposed to be out 2-4 weeks.

I didn't mention THE Ohio State University because this is an NFL thread, but Michigan sucks. Even if OSU get stomped every game from now until the Michigan game, they'll still win. Tressel *owns* michigan.

I didn't mention THE Ohio State University because this is an NFL thread, but Michigan sucks. Even if OSU get stomped every game from now until the Michigan game, they'll still win. Tressel *owns* michigan.

Typical Buckeye, ya smug bastid.;) I digress because this is the NFL thread (my reading comprehension isn't what it used to be). But Rich Rodriguez will have my boy's back to form in a year or two, then light's out.

My pre season prediction of the Bears finishing last in the Norris may be in jeopardy. ;)

They looked awesome last night. I don't think the Colts/Manning were firing on all cylinders, but the Bears D never even gave them a chance. If Orton can not lose games for them, they are gonna be tough.

I was impressed with the Cowboys too--although Cleveland might possibly have the worst defense in the league.

I'll tell you--the AFC East is wide the heck open now. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Jets take the division now, although Belicheat will find a way to win it. Speaking of--oh yeah, K-A-R-M-A sucks, eh? I'm sure some of those poor teams that got beat into submission by the run up the score Cheatriots may not have short memories now. That is all I'm saying about that. ;)

The NFC East is TOUGH. Wow, the Eagles looked pretty damn good yesterday, and every game in that division will be a dogfight. I'm predicting right now--the Giants will not even make the playoffs.

Flacco looked great, Ryan looked good, and a couple of rookie RBs had some flashes of exciting times ahead.

My game is tonight...it has been a REALLY long 2 weeks waiting for this one. However, it will be 31-21 Queens. Packers O-lines and D-lines are too beat up, and Rodgers just has too damn much pressure in this game.

My pre season prediction of the Bears finishing last in the Norris may be in jeopardy. ;)

They looked awesome last night. I don't think the Colts/Manning were firing on all cylinders, but the Bears D never even gave them a chance. If Orton can not lose games for them, they are gonna be tough.

I was impressed with the Cowboys too--although Cleveland might possibly have the worst defense in the league.

I'll tell you--the AFC East is wide the heck open now. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Jets take the division now, although Belicheat will find a way to win it. Speaking of--oh yeah, K-A-R-M-A sucks, eh? I'm sure some of those poor teams that got beat into submission by the run up the score Cheatriots may not have short memories now. That is all I'm saying about that. ;)

The NFC East is TOUGH. Wow, the Eagles looked pretty damn good yesterday, and every game in that division will be a dogfight. I'm predicting right now--the Giants will not even make the playoffs.

Flacco looked great, Ryan looked good, and a couple of rookie RBs had some flashes of exciting times ahead.

My game is tonight...it has been a REALLY long 2 weeks waiting for this one. However, it will be 31-21 Queens. Packers O-lines and D-lines are too beat up, and Rodgers just has too damn much pressure in this game.

HOLY CRAP! IT'S A DUDE SIGHTING! Welcome back, bro!

He has 1.55 points.

33 rec yards.

He's a spermhat now.

That's more than I expected out of him, I heard he was a scratch for tonight's game. Then again, with Tavaris Jackson throwing to him I'm not sure that threre's much of a difference.

Like I said, it all comes down to GB's defense for you.

Nail Coffin.

0908081816-feed.jpg

Having VY out will only make the Titans better. I'm happy and so are a lot of the people I talked to today.

Welcome back, Dude. I missed ya around here!

I'm liking this game so far- let's hope the Packers can pull this out. I picked the Packers in my pick em league, of course!

Welcome back, Dude. What'd you think of your boy Aaron Rodgers last night? ;) I've been fully aboard the Rodger-bandwagon since the first preseason game; he looked really good last night. Wouldn't shock me to see Favre put up better number for the season, but I doubt by much. Rodgers looked poised, in control, seems to be pretty accurate and seems like he's got plenty of arm. Wish I was more aggressive about trying to draft him for FFB!

Aaron Rodgers showed that he can lead that team. He didn't have a great stats night, but he didn't buckle under pressure and he made smart plays. Maybe the Packers are still the best team in the NFC North. They sure will look like it after they stomp my Lions next week. :D

I liked how Rodgers looked until he ran for that touchdown. He made me lose in one of my FF leagues. Dam Bastid. ;)

One game for Rodgers but I really liked his poise out there with a fair amount of pressure coming at him all night. Didn't get happy feet much and didn't do too much tuck and run like most newbs do. Knew when to throw it away. Didn't stare down his recievers. He Looked almost seasoned out there in his 1st start and on the MNF stage says a lot. Shows the value of giving rookie QB's the clipboard for a while if you can.

What I liked about Rodgers (and I'll admit to only seeing about half the game) was that I didn't see him make any stupid plays. Seemed like the leash was still on a bit (as you would expect in his first start), but he also seems to have the tools to do more as he gets game experience and as the coaches develop some more confidence in him. This wasn't just a matter of completing a bunch of dink-and-dunk passes; it was an accurate QB, getting the ball where it needed to be, who clearly has enough arm strength to be able to get the ball downfield.

You've also got to love that short TD pass he threw, it's not every young QB who can stand in the pocket under that pressure and hit his fourth read.

You know what? With all the Favre-fawning relocated to New Jersey, it's kinda fun to root wholeheartedly for Green Bay ;).

Being the Vikings fan that I am (bleed purple and all), I'm seriously nauseous. Tarvaris Jackson is a joke. Now, I have to say there were some weak calls against the Vikes last night, but we can't blame the loss on anyone but ourselves. There were many opportunities for us to win that game (such as giving GB 1st and Goal for 4 consecutive downs from penalties); we just couldn't find a groove.

If they keep playing like this, I hope both Jackson and Childress get the axe.

As an aside, I think Rodgers looked fairly poised for his first real start. GB should be interesting this year.

Orton looked a *bit* better than I remembered from a few years ago. Of course, that's damning with the faintest praise possible; Orton a few years back was probably the worst NFL quarterback I have ever see (and I lived through some BAD QBs, pre-Bledsoe).

I hear Dante may still be available :ban:. Could be worse. You could have Orton or Grossman.

It was a sloppy game but week 1 usually is.

Hahaha, I can't count the number of people I've heard say that. Dante, what a mess he is.

Orton did look a bit better than a couple years ago, but I don't think Indy was anywhere near 100%. We'll see how they play against Carolina this weekend.

Seems Vince has some problems. I'd assume he's already got a therapist. How did he make it this far in football with standard fare coach screaming if unstable? Coddled I guess...

Well, he's probably never had to deal with this level of adversity/criticism before. You know there's something unfortunate going on under the surface (bipolar?), but it's hard to see how he can come back and "lead" the team after this. It's unfortunate. At least Collins could blame the boozing!

At least Collins could blame the boozing!

And the whole, 'throwing it to the other team on a consistent basis' thing.

In other news, I predict a monster season for Marshawn Lynch. That dude is running angry this year. The Seachickens looked lovely, didn't they?

And now Tenn. has signed Simms to back up Collins....hmmm, who knows if VY will actually play again....

And Chris Johnson had a great game for Tenn.! Could be a good sleeper pick.....

The Niners just put Alex Smith on IR, which looks like the end of his career with them - looks like a bust of Ryan Leaf proportions. Though at least Leaf had the decency to go with only the #2 pick overall.

I'll admit, I'm a bit disappointed the Pats didn't go after Chris Simms to back up Cassell. Cassell ain't that good, and there's no one at all with any NFL experience. The only other backup is Kevin O'Connell, who they just drafted this year, and they just re-signed Matt Gutierrez, a second-year player who had one pass attempt last year after being undrafted. None of these guys was particularly impressive in preseason, either.

For better or worse, the Pats' de-facto backup QB seems to be Vinnie Testeverde. Something happens to Cassell, I'm sure Belichick's got Vinnie on speed-dial.

Vinnie to the Pats makes a lot of sense since he knows the system inside and out; sign him on Tuesday, he could start on Sunday without having to limit the game plan.

I do wonder.... and it REALLY hurts me to think this way as a Pats diehard....

But I do wonder if Belichick's arrogance is getting in the way. "**** it, I'll win with ANY quarterback. I'll win with Kevin Faulk behind center if I need to!" (I'm pretty sure Faulk is third-string QB at this point).

I mean, what's the harm in bringing Chris Simms or Tim Rattay or Vinnie onto the team as the third QB at the veteran minimum? How on earth could that possibly be a bad thing? Are the last roster spots REALLY that valuable that you won't even give these guys a physical or work them out? No one's suggesting that they're replacements for Brady, but don't all of these guys (or even Culpepper) give you a MUCH better shot of winning if something happens to Cassell?

I know there's some virtue in the message of "this is my team!", but would anybody on the roster really think bad of that move? Is he THAT worried about destroying Cassell's confidence?

I mean... Glory Be All That Is Touched By Bill and all, but I'm kinda at a loss why he seems so insistant that help isn't needed... :confused:

Back