Great Lakes Brewfest- anyone going?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big10Seaner

Reaction score
A few friends and I just got tickets for the Great Lakes Brewfest. It's in Racine, WI on September 13th. Check out the website for more info (great lakes brew fest dot com). It looks to be very promising with many quality breweries present. The ticket sales are limited to 4,000.

I plan on it. They have a home brew competition in conjunction with the beer fest. The Festival Park is by the lake and just beautiful.
[youtube]WGaBsbSSTJI[/youtube]

I think I might enter a few homebrews into the competition as well. I have an IPA that's bottled, then another wheat beer and pale ale I just brewed last weekend. This will be my first competition so I hope for some good feedback so I can improve on a few things.

I sent in my Dusseldorf Altbier to get some feedback. I had a pale ale bottled that never knocked my socks off like I had hoped, so I didn't submit that one.

I need to be getting back to California pretty soon so I don't know if I am going to be in town for the actual brew fest, but if I make it I will definitely post it here.

Im heading up there with the wife and a few friends. Im wondering why its only from 3pm to 7pm? I would think a brewfest would be until at least 10pm

I went last year. Its a good time, but was crowded and they didn't have enough port-a-johns... long lines.

Also, if there are things you definitely want to try hit those early. Half the breweries were closing up their booths because they ran out of brew by 5-6 o'clock. Though some breweries were pouring full pints right up until closing.

Best stuff I had last year: Founders "All Night Long" Double IPA, an amazing pale ale from the Great Dane brew pub in Madison and a Munich Helles...of which I can't remember the brewer sadly.

I can't make it up there this year though. Have fun y'all and drink one or two for me.

SOunds awesum. Went to a beerfest in GR last winter and it was a fantastic time. Needed more pottys though. Plus, I got a bit schnockered and had to wait a while before driving to the HBS. Some really good beers, and a very nasty Lambic. (Raspberry vomit).

If any of you had debated on going to this and didn't, I would have to say you missed out on a really good time. There were many great beers to be sampled and they had it set up pretty well. I would have to say one of the best beers I sampled that I had never tasted before was Stone's Arrogant Bastard- it was very tasty. Our group headed to Milwaukee after the brew fest and checked out Hofbrau which was also a really good time. After a few shotski's and 1L beers we headed to the Safehouse and also checked out an awesome piano bar (Lucille's) that I would also recommend.

Back