Another first AG...for a change

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PalmBeachPaul

Reaction score
Hi guys, I did my first AG batch yesterday, I also chose the famous and popular Ed Worts House Ale. I hit my water temps right, a little bit cold by the end of the mashing. I end up with 1.036 pre boil, not bad considering that Beersmith call 1.038 on pre boil. 6.50g to boil down to 5.5g in 60m. By the end of the boil, I had an OG of 1.040, when I supposed to have 1.051. I don't understand what happened during the boil, I did everything according the recipe. According Beersmith my efficiency was 60%. :mad:
I missed pre boil by .002, but after the boil, I missed OG by .011. Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot for your help and time.:tank:

I took the temp at 60F, so I didn't had to make any corrections.
I'm thinking and thinking and I can't figure out what went wrong during the boil process.

Congrats on the first AG! I wouldn't sweat the details until a few AG batches down the road; once you taste the beer you'll forget all your worries. After you have your process pretty much down, then you can fine tune everything.

Back