Alternative Grain Beer Irish Rye Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeathBrewer

Maniacally Malty
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
WLP004 Irish Stout
Yeast Starter
1 liter Starter
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
37.8 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
use your own method :p
This is an older recipe of mine...I actually threw it together from some leftovers when i didn't really know what i was doing, but it turned out fantastic! :D

Nice and spicy from the rye and perfectly balanced with the soft hops. You can actually calculate a drop in the IBUs to about 25 if you do a partial boil, but i don't really worry about it. It still tastes nice and balanced either way.

The only thing "Irish" about it is the yeast, which gives a nice ester character and a small bit of diacetyl, which was surprisingly pleasant. It's not a sweet stout, either...it should really be placed in the specialty category...it's just the only place all the details match up.

It's rather dry and light, but with tons of flavor. weighing in at about 4% alcohol, this is a perfect beer for any occasion.

:mug:

Irish Rye Stout

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

13-B Stout, Sweet Stout

Min OG: 1.042 Max OG: 1.056
Min IBU: 25 Max IBU: 48
Min Clr: 30 Max Clr: 60 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 8.13
Anticipated OG: 1.050 Plato: 12.49
Anticipated SRM: 37.8
Anticipated IBU: 30.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 5.88 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.043 SG 10.69 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
36.9 3.00 lbs. Briess DME- Pilsner America 1.046 5
18.5 1.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
18.5 1.50 lbs. Rye Malt America 1.030 4
9.2 0.75 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350
6.2 0.50 lbs. Roasted Barley America 1.028 450
6.2 0.50 lbs. CaraMunich Malt Belgium 1.033 75
3.1 0.25 lbs. Honey Malt Canada 1.030 18
1.5 0.13 lbs. Aromatic Malt Belgium 1.036 25

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 3.40 22.8 60 min.
1.50 oz. Styrian Goldings Whole 4.20 7.5 15 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 Unit(s)Whirfloc Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP004 Irish Stout

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 5.13
Water Qts: 6.50 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 1.63 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.27 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 152 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 5

Total Mash Volume Gal: 2.04 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

brewed this again a couple of weeks ago and drank it last night.

Very tasty, very fast to finish. it gets that butter flavor from the diacetyl but for some reason it works really well in this beer. nice thick head, rich and creamy, but also nice and light. subtle spiciness and maltiness from the grains. yummy.

this one can be done in two weeks. shake up the primary the first week, then let sit for another week. i fermented this at about 60°F which helps to keep the diacetyl subdued.

straight to keg and force carbonated all in one night. wonderful quick beer.

bump, i didnt get a chance to brew this yet, but i posted a couple times about a good session rye stout so im posting in this thread to make it active again

I saw those posts actually, and was wanting an answer as well...and here it is! This is certainly on my short list, especially since I already have some 1084. I'll probably pick up the stuff next trip to the not-so-LHBS. One question though:

Is the pils DME integral to the brew? The LHBS doesn't have any, so would pale LME work ok?

I brewed this a couple of weeks ago. Turned out fantastic! The Rye character didn't come through as much, though...not sure why. I did a 10 gallon batch and just doubled the recipe so maybe that had something to do with it. Made it only about 3% alcohol, too :)

I should mention that I mashed this high at 155F and split between two yeasts: S-04 and Nottingham. So it's more like my Irish Rye Stout...hold the Irish.

I've also made this as an 8% beer for a friends wedding with noyyingham. Always turns out great.

This recipe is intriguing.

Was there a noticeable difference between the S-04 and Notty post-fermentation? I'm trying to decide which to use for my house stock ale.

Also, when you ramp up or back off the ABV, do you adjust all grains in equal percentage, or do you just modify the base malt/DME? I am on a never-ending quest to make good beer sub 3.5% abv.

You could just adjust the extract. Be sure to adjust your hops as well to keep the balance...it may be overly bitter if you cut too much extract without reducing the hops.

You could just adjust the extract. Be sure to adjust your hops as well to keep the balance...it may be overly bitter if you cut too much extract without reducing the hops.

I hear ya. I've taken to keeping the same BU:GU ratio instead of looking at IBUs. Hopville makes it very easy. I'm writing a session (1.035 OG) Cali Common recipe right now, and keeping a similar hop bill would throw it WAY off track.

Oh, and the S-04 has more fruitiness and sweetness, the notty is more clean and dry.

I suspected as much. Glad to hear reality conforms to theory on this one.

UGH! I was going to try this with Nottinghamor s-04. When I put the ingredients into the Brewbuilder at BMW for my last order (after converting to AG and 2.75 gallon batch), I switched the amounts of rye and caramunich! All the grains are mixed in, so there's no cutting back on the amount of caramalt in this. Trying to salvage it, I scaled up to 4 gallons, added some rye and chocolate, but there's still a lot of caramalt. If I mash low (148-150), might this work? I know it'll be a different beer, but will it still be OK?

50% Briess - 2 Row Malt Grain 3.750 lb Yes No 80% 2.0 srm
17% Caramunich Malt Grain 1.250 lb Yes No 72% 56.0 srm
7% Chocolate Malt (UK) Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 73% 450.0 srm
17% Rye Malt Grain 1.250 lb Yes No 63% 5.0 srm
1% Aromatic Malt Grain 1.000 oz Yes No 78% 26.0 srm
2% Honey Malt Grain 2.000 oz Yes No 80% 25.0 srm
3% Briess - Roasted Barley Grain 4.000 oz Yes No 72% 300.0 srm
3% Black (Patent) Malt Grain 4.000 oz Yes No 55% 500.0 srm

I brewed 10 gallons (AG) of this back on 10/16. I kegged it on 11/17.

It tastes really good. I agree that the rye probably adds some of that peppery/spiciness to the beer. Smells great for being as young as it is, though not getting as much of that diacetyl, but maybe that will come. Again, very young beer.

Great beer DeathBrewer - Perfect for the Thanksgiving crew coming over on Thursday!

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.90 lb Pilsner (2 Row) UK (1.0 SRM) Grain 40.43 %
4.95 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 20.22 %
4.40 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 17.97 %
2.20 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 8.98 %
1.10 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 4.49 %
1.10 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4.49 %
0.55 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2.25 %
0.29 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 1.17 %
2.87 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 23.4 IBU
2.87 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (15 min) Hops 12.5 IBU
2.20 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
2 Pkgs Irish Ale (White Labs #WLP004) Yeast-Ale

20121120_135919.jpg

I was trying to decide what to brew next....a rye pale ale or a stout. Thanks for helping me make a decision. This recipe looks great!

After all these years, this beer is still fantastic! I brewed a 20 gallon batch to test out my new system. The only thing that's a little disappointing is that it didn't come out as dark as usual. I want it blacker than the blackest black and there was brown around the edges. BROWN, I TELL YOU!

Not sure what I'm talking about in the original post. Even with all the rye, this is a straight-up Irish Dry Stout.

Back