Mixed up my Nugget and Cascade - Any ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damonic

Reaction score
First time hop grower here which does NOT excuse such a rookie mistake. :(

I ordered 6 varieties of rhizomes and was so damn busy I wasn't able to get them in the ground right away. I'm also moving this fall and wanted to find a foster home for a season once they started growing. So I decided to plant them all in a large starter pot. At least they wouldn't go bad and I'd be able to repot later.

Now I didn't just thrown them all in without any way of identifying them. The rhizomes came with paper tags identifying each one. I also made a "map" of where each type was planted in the pot. So I figured I had two methods of confirming what was what after they sprouted.

So they've been growing nicely and I decided to re-pot them in individual pots this weekend. I neglected to realize that the paper tags (inkjet printed most likely) would bleed badly after frequent watering. 4 out of the 6 were still legible and I had positive ID's but two had disintegrated completely. According to my map I know which should be Cascade and which should be Nugget. But now I'm second guessing myself and wondering if I mixed those up during the repot process.

These are first year plants and I'm not counting on them producing, but once they do will I be able to confirm which is which from the hop cones? From what I can tell, Nugget cones are long and tight whereas Cascade are elongated. Will it be obvious or will I have a hard time discerning? Will I have to brew to tell? Will I ever know for sure? :confused:

(From Freshops, hopefully they won't mind!)

NUGGET
nugget.gif

CASCADE
cascadetn.jpg

Nuggett & Cascades have similar leaves, but you will be able to tell from the cones. Fresh cones are much more distinctive than dried ones.

RDWHAHB. When you get your bounty of cones in the fall (*), I imagine you should be able to smell the difference easily. If not, boil one up...the citrusy Cascade scent should come out. Just love all your hops evenly--don't discriminate, man!

* = I didn't say which fall :)

the hop leaves also look like so many weeds i pull out daily. only indicator is the little growth at the top, and the furry/spikes on the big leaves.... looks a bit like a clemantis bine as well..

If you need help in the August, I'm only a train fare away:cross:.

Seriously, the pinch and sniff of a cascade bract is so unique that I can tell which beers use them for dry hop. Try to find some pales and IPAs that use these and I guarantee you'll be able to do the same.

As for cone shape, I have seen both of those pictured on my cascade, so I wouldn't count on that.

Scotty, I was wondering where that asterisk was going... don't play with my emotions like that!

Thanks for the tips guys... my Nugget looks identical to uglygoat's Nugget. I'm no botanist but I'm pretty good at "spot the difference" on those bar games. The Nugget seems to cut in deeper and have more separated lobes(?) or whatever the correct term would be. The Cascade are more of a single leaf and a google image search supports that as far as I can tell. Is it safe to say I got them right then?

hops_nugget.JPG
hops_nuggetx2.JPG

hops_cascade.JPG
hops_cascadex.JPG

Hate to rain on the parade again, but those oval shaped leaves look nothing like my older cascade, although they do seem to grow tenaciously like that. They have the three-lobed look just like your other plant. I'd keep them separated and do a smell/taste test in a couple months if you get some flowers.

The mt. hood I planted this year produced those oval-shaped leaves on the first tier, followed by the more traditional hop shaped leaves on the following tiers. The centennial, on the other hand, have been three lobed since breaking ground.

Doh! Thought I was onto something. Hopefully the Cascade will bloom soon and it'll be obvious.

cuinrearview, you may just have to come down to double check for me. It's a heckuva drive or train ride but we have a yearly 4th of July festival every year called FARMFEST. A couple hundred of our closest friends, 3-4 kegs, a magical drink we call NachoTang, fireworks, live band, hot air balloon rides, ATV powered slip'n'slide, and new this year... BEER OLYMPICS!!!

I have both of these currently growing.
I'll try and snap a few shots of them for comparison to help.
The cascades are 3 years old and the Nuggets are 1st noobs.

Your "Cascade" leaves and my Cascade leaves look the same.... Here's hoping that you got them right in the beginning.

Last year I grew cascade and nugget hops, and Damonic's pictures correspond with my experience.

Also, the nugget hops will grow high and strong, and the cascades will want to get all bushy and crap.

Back