temperature probe placement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevecaaster

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am wondering where you put your thermocouple/temperature probe of your thermostat in your kegerators? do you submerge them? do you tape them to the side of a keg? do you just let them hang in the air? what is the best way to do this? also, what is your thermostat set at? what differential? is your beer the same temp as the setting on your thermostat?

I ask this because I had my thermocouple just hanging in the air in my kegerator, a converted freezer (-7cu foot), and it was set to 44 degrees farenheit, but the beer coming out was at 33, so I now have the thermocouple probe pinched midway between 2 kegs, metal on metal. I then set the kegerator to 38 degrees F and set the differential to 1 degree.

I am definatly having problems attaining AND maintaining desired temps , please help! I dont know what to do!

I have mine submerged in water at the bottom of my keezer, but i find the water will partially freeze as its a very low volume, while my kegs will be at a much higher temp than the prob reads...

I tried just letting it float in the air, but i didn't like how often the freezer cycled from just a change in air temperature.

So i'm as well curious as to what others do.

I just lay it in there now...but if you added salt to your water...that should lower the temp at which it freezes....or you could just submerge it in some cheap vodka/alcohol...

I put it in a 22oz bottle with water and place it on the hump. Kind of a good middle of the road temp between top and bottom of freezer.

My temp reading and beer after coming out of the glass are w/in 2 degrees of each other.

Back