Does this look infected or is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodsuds

Reaction score
OK, before I get flamed for starting another infection thread, let me just clarify that I've never brewed a cider before, so I'm not sure what to expect it to look like. This kind of looks like the spiderweb pattern I've seen with lactobacillus. I know the bubbles are just CO2. This is EdWort's Apfelwein using Montrachet yeast. It has been in primary for just over 6 weeks and had a strong fermentation for the first 10 days. After the airlock slowed down after week 3 I left it to sit on the basement floor at ambient and the thermometer on the carboy says 61*F.

The pictures suck but it was the best I could do without using the flash and getting a glare. If it looks normal, I won't sweat it, but if it looks infected I'll rack from underneath the surface.

2013-01-05 18.06.39.jpg

2013-01-05 18.05.30.jpg

Foam, bubbles, all that stuff can pretty much be ignored. It seems like the telltale is if there's a "skin" covering the top surface.

Latest posts

Back