New way to control Pellet Hop gunk!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a smoked esb yesterday which had about 4 oz of hops and had absolutely no issues.. There was plenty of hop flavor when I tasted it. I really think that raising and lowering it is the best way to get circulation of liquid in and out of the basket and will allow better utilization. As mentioned the liquid in the basket will never be boiling.. also the hops do eventually turn into a solid clump at the bottom unless you mix them up from time to time.

Question to the brew in a basket brewers out there. I got a quote for a custom basket and was wondering about a few things before I pull the trigger.

How's your brewing experience with the basket compared to the bag?

Anyone recirculating with these and how's the drainage through the basket? Are you getting pretty consistent temps or are there heat issues below the basket?

Are there any concerns about scorching with an electric system?

I've already picked up a hop basket and couldn't be happier with it. Just curious if the pluses equal the cost.

So I have gone threw most of this thread and don't see my question but I apologize in advance if it's been asked. Is anyone using this for grain kind of like the basket from a brew-boss? If so how has it worked?

@wobdee your thread was definitely an inspiration for my 1.5 gal eBIAB recirculating system. I don't get clear wort like with my eHERMS, but so far the end result has been just fine.

Not for my small batch eBIAB, basket does all the work. Keeps the grains off my element and forms the filter bed (sort of). Haven't got any grain husks slip through but there's a lot more trub after the boil than I'm used to.

Too many pages to read them all so this may be redundant. I want to use this in the Boil but also in the Conical for dry hop. The brackets shown for hanging on the side of the kettle are too thick to use between the lid seals on the fermenter. Has anyone considered one with a closable lid that can just be submerged in the fermenter? Thanks

Too many pages to read them all so this may be redundant. I want to use this in the Boil but also in the Conical for dry hop. The brackets shown for hanging on the side of the kettle are too thick to use between the lid seals on the fermenter. Has anyone considered one with a closable lid that can just be submerged in the fermenter? Thanks

Like this?

We've been asked for years for a filter to control pellet hop gunk in hop backs, now we have one! We designed a filter to fit most standard housings and even have housings available. Check out our webpage for more information

http://arborfab.com/product-category/hop-back-filters-housings

Hop Back Filter (11).jpg

Hop Back Filter (6).jpg

Hey guys, I tried to read through as much as I could to find what I need, but after 30 pages it seemed to still be up in the air and unfortunately can't spend the whole day reading the rest (although I wish I could). I was thinking about getting the 6x14 one to use on my Grainfather electric setup. There is a lot of recirculating going on which can get clogged from hops so I think one of these will be necessary. I was thinking the 300 micron one would be good until I got later into the thread where some were saying that it was too fine and wasn't draining well which therefore meant that the wort probably wasn't getting through the filter during the boil. Do people recommend going with the 400 micron? And now that I see that the last post in this thread was over a year ago, is there another product that people recommend instead?

I have a 300 and it gets clogged towards the end of the boil if it's loaded up with a ton of hops. I don't mind and it works really well all around. I think if I were to constantly recirculate I'd go with the bigger diameter.

I have a 300 and it gets clogged towards the end of the boil if it's loaded up with a ton of hops. I don't mind and it works really well all around. I think if I were to constantly recirculate I'd go with the bigger diameter.

Thanks!

+1 on larger diameter. I have a couple of these and they work well but the smaller diameter one is only good for a couple of ounces of hops. I recirculate through them and that cleans out a lot of hot break and other proteins, which clogs them worse. So I use two, and when one clogs I switch to the other. Recently added a whirlpool device to my kettle so not sure how that is going to play with these...always fun to tinker though!

I have both the 300 and 400 micron and I don't detect much, if any difference. YMMV...

Longer term, I think I am going to get a basket close to the diameter of my BK or MLT, so I can do BIAB with one vessel and use an over the side electric solution.:mug:

I have a 6x14 400. I try to use only whole hops, as pellets seem to clog it more. I've brewed 10 gallon big IPAs with large hops additions in the boil without a problem and I usually recirculate after flameout for 15+ minutes.

When I use pellets and it clogs a little, I find that if I just scrape the sides with a big stainless spoon it gets going enough to drain slowly, so I've never had a show stopper.

Once I started using this basket I stopped having any issues or worries about hops in the boil. I could then focus on other areas of the brew that needed obsessing over.

Life is good.

Hi to all,
I am a looong time home brewer, long time lurker but have just registered to this great forum.
I read the good part of 40 or so pages from this thread, and most posts look to control gunk through filtering.
I have come up with a whirlpooling aid that may be quite easy to fabricate with a couple of feet of Stainless Steel Flat bar.
The point is to make a Stator that directs the flow to the center of the kettle.
Maybe three or four curves, I have drawn them to be the same radius as the kettle bottom and about 1/4 of the circunference.
Lets say that the leading edge -the side of the curve exposed head-on to the flow of the whirpool to be about 1" from the kettle side and the trailing edge about 2 inches from the side, the second "vane" Starts midway from the first, with the same 1" separation @ the leading edge, and 2" @ the trailing edge.
A third and possibly a fouth vane would complete the arrangement.
Vanes could be 1-1/2" wide (tall) and may be welded by means of small flats on top of the beginning and end of the overlap.
This arrangement may be dropped in place at the beginning of the whirpool for sanitation and removed once the wort has been colected from the kettle.
tests may be conducted of which would be the best location for the picck-up tube, but I would think near the leading edge of the third or fourth vane would be great.
I have not investigated if such a contraption exists or if it is covered by a patent.
If it is not, pleae feel free to use, just name it Chanoc...
On a more serious note, maybe somebody with drawing skills may draw it, somebody else with fabricaction capabilities may build a prototype and I´m sure that there will be no shortage of "Guinea Pigs" to test it.
Salud Amigos.
Chanoc.

Back