free PET mini-fermentors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrench

Reaction score
I was cleaning up some junk in the basement and noticed a few plastic barrels in a corner. One originally had dog treats, the other cheese puffs or something. Anyway, I checked and they're both PETE-1 (not 7) and look to be about 2 or 2.5 gallons. They should be perfect for fermenting small-batch or split-batch brews. They're not Utz brand, but they look kinda like this only with screw top lids. They're basically peanut butter jars on steroids. (PB jars are also PETE-1, by the way)

484.jpg

I'm just not sure how I want to vent CO2. I figure I could just screw the top on very loosely and it should work fine at a net zero cost. Or, I could drill a hole in each and get grommets like those used in brew bucket lids to install airlocks. The wide openings will make these perfect for fruit or dry hop additions. And since they're free, I don't care if they pick up the fruit smells or only last a couple of batches.

Since I was planning to do a small test beer with some Summit hops this week, the timing is perfect!

I think a drilled, grommeted hole with an airlock is the way to go. You should be able to find the grommets at Home Depot, Lowes, or your LHBS. Good luck!

I use a square plastic animal crackers container with the lid loosely screwed on and havent had any problems. It holds a little over 2.5 gallons.

I was cleaning up some junk in the basement and noticed a few plastic barrels in a corner. One originally had dog treats, the other cheese puffs or something. Anyway, I checked and they're both PETE-1 (not 7) and look to be about 2 or 2.5 gallons. They should be perfect for fermenting small-batch or split-batch brews. They're not Utz brand, but they look kinda like this only with screw top lids. They're basically peanut butter jars on steroids. (PB jars are also PETE-1, by the way)

any products you know that use these size with screw on caps?

I use a square plastic animal crackers container with the lid loosely screwed on and havent had any problems. It holds a little over 2.5 gallons.

My parents just bought what I would consider a zoo sized container of animal crackers and my wife just bought the container pictured of cheesy poofs. I'm going to have to make sure they save me the containers.

484.jpg

I'm just not sure how I want to vent CO2. I figure I could just screw the top on very loosely and it should work fine at a net zero cost. Or, I could drill a hole in each and get grommets like those used in brew bucket lids to install airlocks. The wide openings will make these perfect for fruit or dry hop additions. And since they're free, I don't care if they pick up the fruit smells or only last a couple of batches.

Since I was planning to do a small test beer with some Summit hops this week, the timing is perfect!

I know a gal that loves those things :D :
GirlInTubWithCheesePuffs.png

BJ's definitely sells stuff in these with screw-tops. Check the aisles for both people snacks and dog treats.

went to target, found the perfect containers for them

vzdbz.jpg

SdMxm.jpg

the front of it is fairly flat, so adding a spigot to it will be easy, and the top is a screw on, which will keep it fairly air tight

$4.50 each

thank you edmanster!

I saw ones like the cheese balls empty in 1 and 2 gallons for $1 or $2 a piece in the house wares section of walmart. I have also seen the larger barrel shaped one with dog treats. But I quite literally would not feed my dog the crap that comes in those. Have not seen human food in them will have to look harder. Depending on the food I'd be worried about say cheese puff flavored beer... That fake cheese is pretty nasty, might hang around even after a good oxy soak. Also most of that stuff my wife would take one look at and say: "You bought that solely to use the container for beer didn't you?"

I saw ones like the cheese balls empty in 1 and 2 gallons for $1 or $2 a piece in the house wares section of walmart. I have also seen the larger barrel shaped one with dog treats. But I quite literally would not feed my dog the crap that comes in those. Have not seen human food in them will have to look harder. Depending on the food I'd be worried about say cheese puff flavored beer... That fake cheese is pretty nasty, might hang around even after a good oxy soak. Also most of that stuff my wife would take one look at and say: "You bought that solely to use the container for beer didn't you?"

hah, my mother-in-law saw them and she laughed at me and said i was ridiculous

She refused to downsize the big cheesey poof container into smaller jugs because the kids have to guess the number of poofs in the jug. She did bring home.two utz pretzel containers. They held 40oz of pretzels and 1.5gallons will fill it 1 inch from the top. The line I drew on the side is 1 gallon. They are PETE plastic.

20120422072844.jpg

I've got a couple of those Utz containers. Marked at the 1 & 2 gal measure and use it to measure up the filtered wter to put in the pot to heat for mashing.

And batch of mead is underway. Put 6lbs of Orange Blossom and 1.5 gallons of water together and using these two Utz containers as primaries.

Back