Modifying Caribou Slobber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voodoo_Child

Reaction score
I've found these forums to be an invaluable source of knowledge and figured it's about time I asked a question.

I have Northern Brewer's extract version of Caribou Slobber and it's been in primary for 4 weeks now. I'm close to bottling now and I'm thinking about adding cold brewed coffee at bottling to half the batch, just in case I screw it up royally. Any recommendations of amount, or any words of wisdom? There is a great coffee place nearby and I was thinking something with a dark roast.

The sample at FG reading was very middle of the road, not hoppy, not malty. Now I don't know how much carbonation will aid in delivering the different flavors, but I'm hoping to jazz it up a bit.

Recipe is:
- 6 lbs Amber LME
- 1 lb Amber DME
- .25 lb caramel 80
- .25 lb Fawcett Pale Chocolate
- .125 Black Malt

- 1 oz US Goldings
- 1 oz Liberty
- 1 oz Willamette

Danstar Windsor Yeast

Thanks everyone, and cheers.

I've heard it's a fantstic kit but I still want to experiment. We love coffee and I'd like to see what we come up with. 2 cases of the same beer is a lot for my SO and myself.

Bottled today, wow what an experience. I was so nervous sanitizing and setting everything up. I was dropping things, forgetting where I put things down, it was a frustrating experience. Siphoning into the bottling bucket was relaxing, almost theraputic. I took an FG sample so I was able to RDWHAHB, even though it was flat.

The beer tasted great! More of the chocolate came through this time. We bottled half regularly then added about 3/4 cup cold brewed coffee to the bucket. The sample after the coffee addition was phenomonal! I couldn't believe it was my beer!

My advice as far as adding coffee would be to make more cold brewed than you need and add it gradually until you hit the sweet spot. I just hope the coffee flavor doesn't fade quickly. Cheers.

Back