$40 Sanke Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raptorkeeper89

Reaction score
SO quick question, i have a friend who said he could get me a few 15.5 gal sanke kegs(i think sanke is right, they are the commercial kegs) for $40 a piece. Is that a fair price to pay? I wanted to get a few to build a keggle, maybe a fermentor.

A 15.5 gal keggle is the perfect size for 5 gallon batches. I'd jump on it.
I'd use one for an MLT, too.
The only 15 gallon thing you can do with a keg is dispense it.

well the idea would be to make a keggle to brew in. I currently dont have abrew pot right now. But $40 for a sanke seemed like a good deal then i could spend a little more to convert the sanke. Spend about the same as i would on a decent brewpot. plus i could start doing full boils vs my current partial in a borrowed pot.

And of course i dont need 15 gallons of beer, but i sure want it lol!!! what if there is a drought or something, i need to have some beer on the ready.

I love my keggle !! I can boil 10G batches, and with 5G you don't have to watch for boil overs !

Check bargainfittings.com for parts, I got a them sight glass and 1/2 stainless valve, and paid my local welder $10 a hole for sanitary TIG welds... It's a beautiful thing, and the price was right !!

I also polished the heck out of it following bobbyM's instructions

Watch out and make sure these have been obtained through legal means. I personally think its pretty shady to hoard a local craft brewery's keg(s) if they haven't been legally paid for. Usually the breweries pay about 75-100.00 a piece per keg depending on the price of steel.

As far as the volume, it is a great kettle for 5-10 gallon batches. That should last you until you want to start doing 20 gallon batches at a time.

Yes I did make sure that they were not stolen. I did some research into keggles and knew what I wanted, just wanted to make sure it was at a decent price

$40 plus some extra work IS a great price for a brew pot, but a 15 gallon fermenter seems a little bit big to me.

Only issue with a keg as a fermenter is cleaning it. Although super hot water and oxyclean seem to do ok. Just don't expect to see every nook and cranny. I ferment my 10 gallon batches in one. My HLT and MT are both Keggles. If you don't plan on moving them, they are great. Built like a tank. Just heavy and clumsy to move.

Back