sanitization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickyspalding

Reaction score
I just wanted to reaffirm this works. I did some sanitization a few weeks ago with the iodophor stuff, Im not sure how it is spelled. I still have it sitting in a bucket because I was told I can reuse this. Correct? Or is it only a certain type that lasts for quite awhile, like starsan. Thanks

iodophor does not last when left open to the atmosphere. The free iodine readily evaporates. If you kept it in a spray bottle or another covered container it would be ok.

Starsan is an acid based sanitizer that does not evaporate, and can be stored open in a bucket.

You can get maybe a days use out of iodophor....maybe a couple if it was mixed with distilled water and sealed between uses. When it loses the straw color it is toast. BUT you can "re-jump" it by adding more iodophor.

There's a lot of great info in this thread, including the links to podcasts about the two most effective sanitizers we use, iodophor and starsan.

Sanitizer Question.

In all of my months brewing I have never seen Star-San solution that ISN'T cloudy.

Mine goes cloudy quickly due to my water, but the cloudy comment comes from a brewing network conversation with the creator of StarSan. The only real way to know if it has lost It's effectiveness, is to check ph.

In all of my months brewing I have never seen Star-San solution that ISN'T cloudy.

+1

It isn't as clear cut as some folks think. If you MIX it and it is cloudy, it is simply from the minerals in the water, but the ph is still good. If it is clear and turns cloudy, then it is no longer viable.

+1

It isn't as clear cut as some folks think. If you MIX it and it is cloudy, it is simply from the minerals in the water, but the ph is still good. If it is clear and turns cloudy, then it is no longer viable.

Thanks for saying that more clearly than I did. My hard water turns it cloudy fast, but I used some spring water to mix for a spray bottle and it stayed clear for over a month.

Back