dIPA Hop Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SethMasterFlex

Reaction score
I've made a few really good IPA's using a FWH addition and late hop additions at 15,10,5, and flameout. I usually use 2 ounces of dry hops in a 5 gallon batch.

It turns out that I have a lot of hops stockpiled that I'd like to get creative with. I want to make a very hoppy dIPA with them. How much aroma hops are too much? Can I get away with adding 1-2 oz at 15,10,5, and flameout? Is there a point of diminishing returns where it's just a waste to use that much? FYI, I will be using whole hops for this step. Yes I know it's gonna be a pain to filter out, etc.

Also, how much can I dry hop? Can I do 4-5 oz in a 5 gallon batch without it becoming overly grassy? I plan on dry hopping for 14 days.

Would you like some grain to go with those hops?:

10 lbs 2-Row
1 lb Flaked Rye
1 lb Corn Sugar
6 oz CaraVienne
8 oz Cara-pils
8 oz Victory

OG=1.080

Gonna split this batch up yeast-wise. Half with Pacman and half with Denny's Favorite 50.

*edit* I will be primarily using Simcoe, Amarillo, Cascade, and Centennial with Simcoe and Amarillo taking the spotlight.

It is absolutely possible to use 1-2 oz at all of those times, though I usually use something like this (20, 10, 5, KO). If I were going to dry hop with 5 oz of hops, I would do it in two rounds, one week each, 2.5 oz each.

The people who tell you that you are wasting hops have never brewed a beer with that many hops...I used to be one of those people, but now firmly rest on the other side.

Good to hear and thanks for the response.

I don't just want to brew a "big" IPA as in just numbers. I want something that is artfully woven to deliver some big hop character. Cost isn't as much of an issue from a homebrewer's perspective. As it's not as economical for commercial breweries to add that many hops to their dIPA's, I think they've led the market astray by impressing consumers with high IBU beers that don't always deliver in the aroma department.

Guess it's time to figure out a hop schedule for this monster.

no crystal malt? it's fine I'm just surprised to not see any caramel in this grain bill. but it sounds good, and I agree with the importance of the aroma department meeting the bitterness.

no crystal malt? it's fine I'm just surprised to not see any caramel in this grain bill. but it sounds good, and I agree with the importance of the aroma department meeting the bitterness.

There are two crystal malts. The Caravienne and the Carapils. They're both quite light, but are definitely crystal.

Carapils really does not add any sweetness. It's purported roll is to add body/unfermentable sugars only and not affect taste. So, although it is a crystal malt it should not be thought to be similar to other crystal malts (such as caravienne)

I just jumped 8 oz in my 5 gallon batch for DHing. That's how Avery does it...so that's how I'm gonna do it!

I'm a fan of drier, less sweet, west coast styled dIPA's that have some light malt character. Slightly lighter in body and not at all syrupy. The victory will give it a nice toasty/biscuity kick too. The rye also gives it some more body and adds to the complexity. When served in a snifter, the sweetness on a beer like this comesthrough in the finish as they are warmed by the hand and breathe a little.

Back