Wyeast 1050 "Smackpack"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan341

Reaction score
So a buddy of mine and myself had a brew day scheduled 2 weeks ago this Saturday, but a few bad brats the night before kept me from traveling to his place about 20 miles away, and work has prevented us from brewing until this Saturday. The problem is, in anticipation of brewing he took out the yeast and smacked it, activating it. My question is, is the yeast still ok to brew with Saturday?

Yes, use a 10:1 ratio. That is 10 g water per g of DME (i.e.,200 g DME in 2000 ml water). Go to mrmalty.com to find out how much of a starter you need.

Just to update....I realized I had no dme laying around, so I just threw caution to the wind and threw the yeast and 2 ounces of pure vanilla extract into my cream ale. 8 hours later im trading an airlock for a blowoff tube. Thanks for the advice guys.

Have you tried that much vanilla before? I used vanilla beans on my first (and last) vanilla cream ale, and it was terrible!! I ended up dumping the whole thing after "aging" it for 4 months. Lesson learned: Add flavourings at bottling, a little at a time.

I haven't, but going over cheesefood's vanilla caramal cream ale, he used 4 ounces in the secondary AND 4 ounces at bottling. I'm banking on the flavor being milder by putting it in the primary. I wasn't really looking for a defining flavor, but I wanted it to show up. If it turns out too strong I'll chalk it up to lesson learned.

Back