American Stout help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poobah58

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking do an American Stout this weekend. I've never done one. Our club as done Oatmeal Stouts in the past but it's too sweet for me. Looking for a dry to semi-dry roasty stout with a little body and creaminess. Somewhere between Guinness EFS and an Oatmeal Stout. Also trying to keep it simple. I have some Black Patent, Debittered Black, Pale Chocolate and Carafa Special I & II but this is what I have come up with. Haven't decided what yeast to use yet. I'm adding gypsum and doing an acid rest because the pH of by water is 7.7. What do you stout experts think?

Recipe: Mead Lane Stout
Style: American Stout

Recipe Specifications
------------------------------
Batch Size: 10.00 gal
Boil Size: 12.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.063 SG
Estimated Color: 47.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 67.26 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
----------------------------------------------------------
16 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) 64.00 %
3 lbs Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) 12.00 %
1.5 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) 6.00 %
1.5 lbs Cara Aroma (130.0 SRM) 6.00 %
1.5 lbs Chocolate Malt (400.0 SRM) 6.00 %
1.5 lbs Roasted Barley (462.0 SRM) 6.00 %
1.5 oz Warrior [17.80 %] (60 min) 63.1 IBU
1.5 oz Warrior [17.80 %] (15 min) 14.1 IBU
2.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min)
2 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (Fermentis #S-05)

Mash Schedule:
-------------------------------
30 min Dough In: 109F
60 min Saacrification: 152F
10 min Mash Out:168F

The issue with stouts is usually that the mash pH is too low, not too high. Water is above 7 in most areas, but the acidity of the roasted and crystal malts will bring it down. It is the amounts of calcium and carbonate that affect the mash pH more than the pH of the water.

Otherwise it looks like a fine recipe to me, although I’d probably do 1 lb CaraAroma and 1 lb of a lighter crystal malt.

10 hour nightmare. I think the roasted malts crushed to powder, coupled with all that flaked stuff. Didn't have any rice hulls. RIMS mash was a freaking nightmare. Did get 85% though!

Latest posts

Back