homebrew and Gas??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfgolfer

Reaction score
What's this I hear about if you "test" one of your brews early that it gives you terrible gas or the runs?? Is this true of just green beer or finished homebrew as well?? or are these people just joking...

kfgolfer said:
What's this I hear about if you "test" one of your brews early that it gives you terrible gas or the runs?? Is this true of just green beer or finished homebrew as well?? or are these people just joking...

live and learn.

That rumble can last a few days for me. Sometimes it is actually quite funny. It seems like, when I have a party, we tend to get greedier when pouring our beers and get more of the yeast in the glass. See, it's true, drinking does impair your judgement. :rockin:

so, I guess this Gas happens then even with finished conditioned beer and not just trying them early????why is that. BMC doesn't do that to me at all....

I don't have these, um, "effects" at all. I've tried my homebrew after just 5 days in the bottle, all the way up to 3 months after (it doesn't last around here longer than that). I don't drink the sediment, but my husband sure does. He likes it. Anyway, I'm sure it affects some people but not us. My friends who drink my beer never said anything, either. Maybe it depends on the quanity?

I don't think one green beer will get you kicked out of the bedroom- try it and see!

Lorena

The unfermentable sugars in homebrew feed gut bacteria that create the gas. BMC is pre-treated to maximize fermentable sugars, leaving very little for your gut bacteria to work on. If you are doing all grain, you can mash at lower temperatures (146F-150F) at 2 quarts per pound for 90 minutes and reduce unfermentables.

If you are doing extract, toot-sweet.

kfgolfer said:
so, I guess this Gas happens then even with finished conditioned beer and not just trying them early????why is that. BMC doesn't do that to me at all....

Not so much finished and conditioned.

It's caused by the remaining unfermented sugars and the undigested yeast. BMC use an extra fermentation organism (a fungus, I've read) to further break down sugars without creating alcohol. This leaves less fartables in their product, and less carbs.

lorenae said:
I don't have these, um, "effects" at all. I've tried my homebrew after just 5 days in the bottle, all the way up to 3 months after (it doesn't last around here longer than that). I don't drink the sediment, but my husband sure does. He likes it. Anyway, I'm sure it affects some people but not us. My friends who drink my beer never said anything, either. Maybe it depends on the quanity?

I don't think one green beer will get you kicked out of the bedroom- try it and see!

Lorena

Maybe Mythbusters should have used you and their guinea pig instead of Kari...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=17949&highlight=mythbusters

But the sediment does have a good amount of B12 in it which does help with you hangover. And i've never gotten the runnes from any of my homebrew.

But i dont mind the beer farts at all. Makes my buddy's want to drink my brews to be honest.

lorenae said:
I don't have these, um, "effects" at all.

are you saying in general or with the home brews, cuz if its in general myth busters proved that wrong:p

This may make sense to me. last weekend i went to the in-laws and we sampled some of my father in-laws co-workers home brew. they were not good. His continetal ale(what ever the hell that is) tasted like i was drinking apple boons wine and his october fest had zero body and zero maltiness.

Later that night and into the next day i thought it was the brussel sprouts repeating on my from the rear, but now that this topic comes up, the sprouts have never had that effect on me before, perhaps it was his young, bad beer.

My White Christmas brew gives me a hell of a case of the farts. It's nice and cloudy with yeast and proteins - more than one of these, and I'm dangerously close to having to spend the night on the couch!

Reverend JC said:
are you saying in general or with the home brews, cuz if its in general myth busters proved that wrong:p

QUOTE]

With the homebrews (and in general, too), and I don't care what mythbusters says! Seriously, after a night of heavy beer drinking most people are a little "gaseous", commercial or homebrew. After a couple of pitchers of Sprecher Special Amber at the local bar, my husband is deadly. He sleeps through it, though, so he doesn't care.

But after a couple or three homebrews, no effect. More than that, though- Yowza.

I speak only for my husband. I am very ladylike and do not pass gas, sweat, or swear. :D

Lorena

You know, my wife can toss back Miller Lites with the best of them and not get bad gas. She does get ill from time to time on the rare occassion that she overindulges, but not gaseously sick. I, on the other hand, can blow the comforter off the bed.

Ever have a fart so big that it makes you burp at the same time? Those are the best.

I was at PetSmart shopping once and felt like I had to drop a mega deuce. I made my way to the bathroom and let out the longest fart in the history of mankind. :rockin:

This was before homebrew and must have been caused by whatever we ate out that day. It literally must have lasted for 30 long seconds. I couldn't help but to start laughing when it still didn't stop...then I realized I didn't want to draw attention to the bathroom. I was lucky I was alone. Needless to say, there was no deuce that day :D

The lactose in my imperial stout has very bad effects on one friend of mine. He...uh...sharted from it recently. Good thing my wife wasn't home for that event.

My little workspace has three women and me. Suffice to say, I'm EXTREMELY self-conscious because even when it's not me, it's me.

fezzman said:
Ya had another dream where you couldn't find a bathroom, didn't you? :p

The self-imposed Dutch Oven.

Hopefully not the Dutch Surprise (a dutch oven gone horribly wrong).

Very first batch,an extract wheat kit,only bottled 5-6 days.A bunch of circumstances converged to make(yea right)me drink down about a half-dozen or so.I ended up pretty buzzed but the next morning my guts hurt and i actually sh#t blood!!Kinda scary.....lesson learned!

yep - green beer - i can make the cat jump off my lap and actually give me a dirty look before she leaves the room!

Sorry to ressurrect an old thread, but I just experienced this the first time yesterday. I think its the first time I've actually drank an entire bottle of homebrew.

I actually had pains in my stomach from it! Its been 7 days in the bottle, I didn't pour out the sediment in the bottom, but I guess there was enough in solution to cause issues...

Does this get better as it ages? 3ish weeks in bottles do better than 1?

Yooper Chick said:
I am very ladylike and do not pass gas, sweat, or swear. :D

Lorena

Yah, you gals ***** to releave the pressure. :D

I went to Granite City Brewery last year for my 40th birthday, after a bock, I ordered their stout, I had to wait 45 minutes for the damned thing. I was getting really pissed, after asking three times where's my beer. It was getting very hard not to make a scene at this point in front of my parents & IL's. Appetizers gone, salad gone, dinner coming... They gave it to me for free and appoligized, saying it was the first beer off a new batch. - OMFG - This damn thing gave me the most painful gas in my life.... They have conicals there. The MFin' waiter probably grabbed a mug and took a sample straight from the fermenter!!!

....This leads me to what I heard on homebrew network.

They had a contest where you could win a years supply of Whitelabs Yeast. If you downed a vile of yeast over the air. I think you had to tell them what type of WL yeast you where downing. They even had somebody drink a 12oz glass of trub. The thought makes me wince...

I can't imagine the gastro-intestinal pain after that! :cross:

I just tried a bottle of my 80/-, and damn, I can't believe what's going on. I had to sit through a job interview thinking "This is going to get ugly reaaaal fast if I don't get out of here soon." Thankfully I made it out, but damn, I'm going to have to start drinking that stuff on the can. :D What's weird is that none of my other batches have done this to me, but to be fair, this batch is definitely green.

Yooper Chick said:
I don't have these, um, "effects" at all. I've tried my homebrew after just 5 days in the bottle, all the way up to 3 months after (it doesn't last around here longer than that).

Ya need to to try a big ol' Hefeweizen Dontcha know! It's full of yeast & vitamins and other good stuff.

It'll set ya free, you betcha!

Back