B-Brite and mineral deposits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkSheffield

Reaction score
I left a carboy sitting with a not-too-strong solution of B-Brite in it for a couple of weeks. I just emptied it and have noticed that there is some calcification of something in the carboy that is pretty hard and stuck to the glass such that the deposits (which look like little crystals) don't brush free with a carboy brush. My water is from a well and is pretty hard. The deposits could be from a reaction of B-Brite with the calcium in the water.

Has anybody had this happen before?

I just filled it up with some bleach solution to see if the chlorine will do anything over the next few days - I have my doubts. The only other possibility is a week muriatic acid solution which is used to stop calcification in fish tanks and pools.

Should I just ignore this? I'm worried that it will leach into the beer and do damage there.

thanks for any ideas with this - Mark

I was able to fix this

The calcification was quite strong with mm-sized crystals attached all over to around 10% of the inside of the carboy. Why this happened I don't know. I tried leaching them out with hot water - no luck. Same for b-brite and also with bleach (not at the same time, mind you!). Nothing touched these. I had the idea that this is something that aquarium owners have to face, so I went to the local pet shop and asked how they did it. All they had was a small bottle of something that is used to scrub the calcification off ("Lime Off" by Jungle Laboratories). They didn't know if it would work on a carboy but I bought it anyway.

The directions were to use this directly on the calcified area and scrub, but when I did that using my carboy brush I had no results. I then thought that I might use this as a soaking agent, so I filled up the carboy with water and emptied the contents in (1.86 oz) and put it aside for a couple weeks.

The results are perfect with no crystals remaining. The carboy is completely clear. I have rinsed it out a few times and set it aside and will use it for the next batch coming up in a couple days.

sweet... nice to know it can be removed. I have some deposits on one of my carboys I'd like to get rid of.

Back