rubber stopper slipping out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eroth

Reaction score
I racked to secondary yesterday, and the stopper on the secondary, over time, always seems to slip up and out.

I had used StarSan to sanitize both the carboy and the stopper, so I'm sure this is the culprit...but does anyone know any tricks for getting them to stay in place properly?

I doubt anythings going to get in through the tiny crack it creates when it pops out, but better safe than sorry...

I haven't ever had this happen, at least not enough slippage for me to notice. Are you 100% sure you're using the proper size stopper for your carboy? If you could post a pic, maybe that would help, I just can't think of what would cause this other than an improper stopper.

Sanitize both then dry the bottle inside the lip. Get the top 1.5 inches. The dry the stopper too. It happens to everyone and the options are dry them off or wire it down. Both work. If you are careful drying is easy and safe. You can also through some foil over the BB for a little while until it drys by itself.

The same thing happens to me. Don't worry, After a short while the star-san will dry and the stopper seats and seals fine.

I've let it go overnight, and it's still sliding out, so I'm assuming it's pretty well dried. I've tried both stopper that came with my starter kit (even though they look identical) and they both pop out.

What do you guys use to dry the inside of the carboy (which is glass)? just a fresh paper towel?

It happens to me all the time! You can take a clean papertowel and dry off the inside of the carboy neck, and the stopper, or just let them air dry before filling the carboy.

I've used carboy caps, too, and they don't slip off at all. The only issue I had with them is they are not 100% airtight. Not a problem for beer, but I bulked aged some wonderful wine with them, and it oxidized. :mad:

So, if the stoppers are a PITA, try the carboy caps. They are also easiest for starting a siphon.

The first time I was making apfelwein I was using a carboy + stopper for the first time. When the stopper didn't stay in place I first it with a time tested method:

I wrapped some duct tape on the outside to hold the stopper in place. Worked like a charm.

Ive used duct tape to keep them buggers on. If you can't get anything else to work, then give that a shot.

VERY BAD idea...especially if you get a lot of kreusen. Kreusen can clog the airlock. If you tape it on the neck the "weak link" becomes the walls of the carboy and any pressure built up inside can blow the sides off...;)

VERY BAD idea...especially if you get a lot of kreusen. Kreusen can clog the airlock. If you tape it on the neck the "weak link" becomes the walls of the carboy and any pressure built up inside can blow the sides off...;)

Are you speaking from experience Bill?

I have found that once you can get it to stay in and stay there for a day or so, the stopper's shape conforms to the carboy and you won't have the problem with that stopper anymore. The other day I used a rubber band to hold one down.

Latest posts

Back