Flaked Corn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewTaster

Reaction score
Looking to make BM's Cream of Three Crops soon, and it calls for flaked corn. Probably a stupid question but is flaked corn the same as corn flakes?

Flaked corn is much less processed and is probably 100% corn, unlike (I suspect) corn flakes. I would be afraid of corn flakes gumming up your sparging process. By the way, I have brewed this beer a couple of times and it's a real crowd pleaser. I really like it too. I am planning on brewing enough of this stuff so that I can keep some on hand all summer.
Your LHBS should have flaked corn and the online stores have it too. You do not have to do anything special, just add it right to the mash.

lhbs should have flaked maize or corn (same thing)

I actually went to a local feed shop and bought a 50lb bag of cracked corn for $8.50, and that's more than i'll need for a long time. Look for a local horse feed or place that sells stuff from your local co-op or bird seed. Works for me. I've brewed 4 beers with this corn so far, for about the same price as 2lb's at my lhbs

Corn flakes will probably have extra ingredients and have been toasted. Very different flavor and will probably cost 5 times as much per pound.

Back