Multiple mashes for a single batch - has this been done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeehiveBrewer

Reaction score
I was reading the 5 gal v. 10 gal mash tun threads and got to wondering.

Could there be any benefit to mashing different grains in separate mash tuns? For example, the bulk of your base malt in one tun, at one temperature, and the rest of your grain in another tun at a different temperature and then combining the two worts for the boil?

Looking at body v. fermentability, would it be of any benefit to do the above?

I dont think that there would be any benefit... but you would certainly complicate your brew day :D

Instead of mashing different grains at different temps... balance the body/fermentability by adusting temp. I mean, you can mash anywhere between 145F and 158F to vary the fermentability and body of any beer.

Instead of mashing at 150F, try 153 for slightly more body/less fermentable wort. Instead of mashing at 158F, try 154F or 155F for a slightly dryer/more fermentable wort.

I've only got a 5g cooler to mash in so I usually split my grain in half and do 2 mashes so I make sure I have enough room. I never thought about mashing at different temps though, interesting idea.

People do mash at different temps in the same mash, using step infusion or decoction.
Not sure how that would apply to separate mashes in two tuns.

You could also brew two different beers simultaneously. Which might either complicate your brew day, or reduce the time you need to brew, depending on your perspective.

Back