Converting the Frigidaire 7.2 cu ft Chest Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice job! love how the black looks with the dark stained wood. you gotta get some pictures of this badboy in action up next! :mug:

I have been doing all of my homework for my upcoming Keezer project and you just convinced me to go with the black Frigidaire 7.2. Your build looks absolutely awesome!!! I especially like the hemlock...nice grain! :)

Thank you for supplying the parts list. This helps out immensely!

John

First off I must say your setup is quite impressive. I am basing my build off many of the steps you took. I have painted my chest freezer black, and cut and stained my collar today.

mike...what type of paint did you use? I would still prefer to buy a used freezer off of craigslist rather than fork over $250. Are you satisfied with the paint?

Thanks,

John

mike...what type of paint did you use? I would still prefer to buy a used freezer off of craigslist rather than fork over $250. Are you satisfied with the paint?

Hi John,
I used Rust-Oleum Appliance Epoxy spray paint. It really looks amazing and appears as if it was bought this way. I would highly recommend that you do this outdoors, the paint floats around and sticks to everything. I am not sure why people spray painted indoors in the first place but I have read stories of peoples living rooms being covered in a film this epoxy after painting. Would also recommend a respirator, after 3 cans of spraying this stuff my lungs were a bit tight, wished I had dropped the $30 on one. Also I would recommend doing it during the day where there is plenty of light to make sure you have covered everything evenly. I went back to touch up a few spots that were a little thin and those spots ended up looking a little bit different, almost a bit more glossy than the original coat. Other than that it really does look great. You can pick it up for like $8 per can at Lowe's or below is an Amazon link. I used 3 cans on my 14 gallon Keezer. Good luck! Post pictures when painted.

http://amzn.to/b2KmUP

Hi John,
I used Rust-Oleum Appliance Epoxy spray paint. It really looks amazing and appears as if it was bought this way. I would highly recommend that you do this outdoors, the paint floats around and sticks to everything. I am not sure why people spray painted indoors in the first place but I have read stories of peoples living rooms being covered in a film this epoxy after painting. Would also recommend a respirator, after 3 cans of spraying this stuff my lungs were a bit tight, wished I had dropped the $30 on one. Also I would recommend doing it during the day where there is plenty of light to make sure you have covered everything evenly. I went back to touch up a few spots that were a little thin and those spots ended up looking a little bit different, almost a bit more glossy than the original coat. Other than that it really does look great. You can pick it up for like $8 per can at Lowe's or below is an Amazon link. I used 3 cans on my 14 gallon Keezer. Good luck! Post pictures when painted.

http://amzn.to/b2KmUP

Awesome! Thanks Mike.

One more question...did you have to sand the freezer down to metal or did you spray right on top of the existing finish? I would really prefer that the end result be a textured finish (like the original finish) and figure I would need to spray without sanding to achieve this. The one thing that concerned me was that the description says this:

"Rust-Oleum Specialty Appliance Epoxy is an ultra-hard, moisture resistance enamel that is specifically formulated for indoor metal surfaces."
Thoughts?

John

I have been doing all of my homework for my upcoming Keezer project and you just convinced me to go with the black Frigidaire 7.2. Your build looks absolutely awesome!!! I especially like the hemlock...nice grain! :)

Thank you for supplying the parts list. This helps out immensely!

John

Thanks. Good luck on your project. It is time for me to brew again. I have a hard time to keep the taps supplied.:D

Awesome! Thanks Mike.

One more question...did you have to sand the freezer down to metal or did you spray right on top of the existing finish? I would really prefer that the end result be a textured finish (like the original finish) and figure I would need to spray without sanding to achieve this.

I did sand down the fridge with a medium grain sandpaper. I didn't sand away the texture that I think you are talking about, just the semi-glossy finish. It may be possible that you can use that paint without sanding but that is the way I did it. I didn't even sand off all the paint or anything to get all the way down to the metal, it was still white when I painted it. Hope this helps.

The can's instructions say:
"Remove loose paint and rust with a wire brush or sandpaper. Lightly sand glossy surfaces. Clean the surface with soap and water, rinse and let dry. Priming is not recommended. Cleaning is recommended before and after wire brushing or sanding."

So seems like light sanding is the way to go.

I did sand down the fridge with a medium grain sandpaper. I didn't sand away the texture that I think you are talking about, just the semi-glossy finish. It may be possible that you can use that paint without sanding but that is the way I did it. I didn't even sand off all the paint or anything to get all the way down to the metal, it was still white when I painted it. Hope this helps.

The can's instructions say:
"Remove loose paint and rust with a wire brush or sandpaper. Lightly sand glossy surfaces. Clean the surface with soap and water, rinse and let dry. Priming is not recommended. Cleaning is recommended before and after wire brushing or sanding."

So seems like light sanding is the way to go.

The texture I am referring to is that bumby almost rubberized finish. The chest freezer I bought is not a flat finish like a washer, dryer or range. It has that impact resistant coating. I'm just wondering if this paint will stick to that.

Quaffer...

Where did you find the corner braces that join the collar pieces? Home Depot? I stopped in Lowes last nigh and didn't see anyhting like them and I'm having trouble finding them on HD's webiste.

TIA,

John

Quaffer...

Where did you find the corner braces that join the collar pieces? Home Depot? I stopped in Lowes last nigh and didn't see anyhting like them and I'm having trouble finding them on HD's webiste.

TIA,

John

There should be something similar in the area where the door hinges are. That's where i found mine.

There should be something similar in the area where the door hinges are. That's where i found mine.

Got 'em. They were at the end of the aisle closer to the lumber with the rest of the joining hardware. Amazing how HD carries some things that Lowes doesn't and vice versa.

Quaffer/Mike...

Did you guys do anyhting to seal/insulate the backside/inside of the temp controller? Do you think there is an problem with condensation getting into the unit from the back since it is wide open?

Also Mike...do you know what brand/color stain you used? That looks pretty close to what Quaffer used. I tried the Minwax Red Mahogany on a test piece but it looks like it came out a little purple. I haven't been able to find that Wissner's Cabernet anywhere.

TIA,

John

Quaffer/Mike...

Did you guys do anyhting to seal/insulate the backside/inside of the temp controller? Do you think there is an problem with condensation getting into the unit from the back since it is wide open?

Also Mike...do you know what brand/color stain you used? That looks pretty close to what Quaffer used.

John,
I actually have my temp controller on the outside of the unit. I just put two finish nails into the wood collar on the back of the unit and hung from there. I ran the sensor probe in through the backside, in between the lid and the collar (didnt drill anything additional).

I did use the Minwax Red Mahogany, but did two layers to darken. Didn't seem to come out too purple on my end, probably depends on how light your wood is too. I then used Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane Semi -Gloss Aerosol. This I really wish I would have used a respirator for, even doing it outside with a breeze my lungs were not right for a week.

Hope this helps. Remember to post pics!

Mike

Quaffer/Mike...

I was going to put a thin peice of insulation behind the controller, but it popped out a couple of times and I finally left it out. I think it is OK, I have not noticed any condensation.

Also Mike...do you know what brand/color stain you used? That looks pretty close to what Quaffer used. I tried the Minwax Red Mahogany on a test piece but it looks like it came out a little purple. I haven't been able to find that Wissner's Cabernet anywhere.

I think Zinsser stopped making the Cabernet. I went to www.lowes.com and searched for "Zinsser Cabernet". It still shows up and I can add it to the shopping basket, but it is labeled "unavailable" at all stores near me.

Awesome! Thanks guys.

Got the collar all cut/joined/wood puttied and sanded. I just need to cut the holes for the shanks, temp contoller anb wires out the back. After that, I start staining. Nice to know that the Red Mahogany truns out looking nice. Maybe it was just the pine I was using that was giving it a purplish look. I have since moved to the Hemlock since my first attempt at a colar was a msierable disaster. I was trying to use a little better quality wood so I bought finished pine boards. The problem is that the are only 3/4" think so I was gluing two of them together around all of the sides. What a mess. Oh well...live and learn. I was a little afraid of the hemlock because I thought I wouldn't be able to find two boards that were straight. First two I picked off of the pile were near perfect. :)

I did have another question: What size hole saw for the shank holes? I think I read somewhere else the 7/8" works best. Can you guys confirm?

Also, for anyone else following this thread: My freezer (like most I would think) has a textured finish...almost rubberized. I found a nice paint that worked perfectly. I originally tried the Rustomeum Appliance Epoxy, but since it was enamel based it seemed to chip off a little easy. I could actually scrath it off with my finger nail after sitting for 2 days. This is what I ended up using (available at Lowes/HD):

http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=178

OVERVIEW:
New Rust-Oleum Universal is specifically formulated to work on diverse surfaces including wood, plastic, metal, brick, concrete and even vinyl. The Rust-Oleum Universal advanced spray system can spray from any angle — even upside down.

PRODUCT FEATURES:
For use on interior / exterior environments
One Universal coating for diverse substrates
Ultimate flexibility for extreme applications
Maximum adhesion for demanding substrates
Fast, efficient coverage
Fade and chip resistant
Rust preventative
2008 HANDY Innovation Award Winner​

This stuff is pure awesomeness! :)

Thanks again!

John

What size hole saw for the shank holes? I think I read somewhere else the 7/8" works best. Can you guys confirm?

I used a 1" hole saw, but later whished it had been 7/8" instead. 1" works but 7/8" is a better fit.

Faucets, hoses, distributor, etc. all being delivered today. Once everything is assembled, I'll post a few pics. Just doing 3 faucets for now and will eventually expand to 5. I cheaped out on the faucets though. I really wanted Perlick 525's but just got regular old chrome. Just didn't have the budget right now. Maybe Santa will be nice to me. :)

John

Thanks for posting this build, Quaffer. After seeing your photos, SWMBO has agreed that a DIY keezer can look nice enough to sit in the finished half of the basement. I plan to start gathering parts this autumn! :mug:

I did have another question: What size hole saw for the shank holes? I think I read somewhere else the 7/8" works best. Can you guys confirm?

John

I used the 7/8" bit and the shanks fit tight and perfect.

Let me know how that other Rustoleum paint works!

Did you have to sand it down, or did you paint right over the factory paint?

I shot it right on top of the existing finish. No sanding...just a good wipe with rubbing alcohol. It really is amazing paint. I tried the Appliance Epoxy but that seemed to chip really easily on me (probably because it is enamel based and this wan't a metal finish). I think I used about 4 cans all in all of the Universal paint.

FYI...as with the otehr paint, make sure you have a mask! This stuff is heavy!!!

I just got my hardware so I will be sure to post a pic later.

John

Pics as promised. I'll be the first to admit...my woodworking skills leave a lot to be desired. However, I am alsoof the opinion that we here on the eats coast don't have quite the selection of wood that other regions may have. The closest thing I could find to 'Western Hemlock" at my local Lowes was "Hem-Fir". Quite obvious it doesn't have the same grain. HD only had Douglass Fir. Oh well.

The chest freezer is a 2001 Frigidaire that I got off of CL completely free. :) The family had a yard sale and put a price of $50 and nobody took it. So, they just put it on craigslist for free and I was the first to call...within the hour. Just good timing I guess.

Well, here is the before:

IMG_1656.jpg

And the after:

IMG_1731.jpg

I didn't bother to try and get any of the dents out. After all, this will live in my basement. And I'm not why the third tap looks like it is brushed nickle...maybe the flash.

To-Do List:

• Insulate the collar (none at the moment although I don't seem to be losing a lot cold)
  • Add a fan for circulation. Just bought a box fan at Lowes for $9.99.
  • Add 2 more faucets
  • Bottle opener and catcher (in the mail)
  • Secondary regulator and 2 port manifold for force carbing
  • Rear mount the CO2 tank
  • Driptray
  • Fill with 5 Homebrews!!! :)

I have 2 kegs in there right now force carbing...a Boddington clone and BM's Centennial Blonde. I just took a sample of the blonde after only one day of froce carbing. I gotta say...that is a damn fine and extremely drinkable brew! I highly recommend it to everyone who wants to have a lighter beer on tap.

John

Pics as promised. ...
The chest freezer is a 2001 Frigidaire that I got off of CL completely free. :)

Johnodon, your keezer looks great! :) The free freezer was a great find.

How did you mount the temp controller? It looks like a switch plate and perhaps an electrical box behind it? Looks nice whatever it is.

I have 2 kegs in there right now force carbing...a Boddington clone and BM's Centennial Blonde. I just took a sample of the blonde after only one day of froce carbing. I gotta say...that is a damn fine and extremely drinkable brew! I highly recommend it to everyone who wants to have a lighter beer on tap.

I think I will have to give that BM Blonde a try. My beers tend to overshoot an already high SG target, so I am ready for a lighter beer. Easy quaffing without (some of) the next-day penalty.:cross:

Johnodon, your keezer looks great! :) The free freezer was a great find.

Thanks! I really lucked out with this one. Mechanically, it seems just fine. It just has teh normal dings from being in the basement.

How did you mount the temp controller? It looks like a switch plate and perhaps an electrical box behind it? Looks nice whatever it is.

It is actually just a switch plate...no box. This was not done by desgin at all. I made the damn hole for the Love controller a little too big. So I got a black light switch plate (one that has a larger opening for the fat switches) and dremel'd it out. It was a close fit...just needed the sides taken out a bit. Once I had that cut to the right size, I gooped it up with silicone and attached it with wood screws that fit the holes. It turned out pretty good.

I think I will have to give that BM Blonde a try. My beers tend to overshoot an already high SG target, so I am ready for a lighter beer. Easy quaffing without (some of) the next-day penalty.:cross:

That beer was ready to drink in 2 weeks (or at least it would have been if I had forced carbed it 3 days ago). Really nice flavor for a light beer...slight lemony taste but not even close to overbearing. In my book, a perfect summer ale. And it definitely won't do the damage that we are used to! :)

John

Here's mine, finally. Been using it for the past few weeks, but finally got the last two shanks i needed today. I chose a slightly darker stain with more brown (looks lighter in the pics than in person). I'm pretty pleased with the results.

Crappy camera phone pics:

2000454001_large.jpg

2000454002_large.jpg

Here's mine, finally. Been using it for the past few weeks, but finally got the last two shanks i needed today. I chose a slightly darker stain with more brown (looks lighter in the pics than in person). I'm pretty pleased with the results.

Nice! I like the wood grain on your collar, and the color too. :mug:

so how many cornys can you get in this if i read the post right 3 and 2 or 3 and 1 or 6 it it is less then 6 do you use all 4 taps or just 3 thanks for the info i really like your keezer

New member here, and just thought i would chime in on the Keezer. I thought about doing the collar set-up but seemed like the taps would be a little low for my preference. I went with drilling the top and putting a tower on the top. I basically did the same prep to the freezer as mentioned before, sand, wipe, paint. I have figured i can put 4 kegs in mine and waiting to buy two single tap towers to complement the dual tap tower. The one benefit of the collar is the outside mount for the CO2, i am not brave enough to put a hole threw the side of mine.

Lowes Freezer - $100
Perlick Brass Tower - $66
Spray Paint - $7
Cold draft beer after work - drunken happiness:drunk:

P9290339.jpg

P9290338.jpg

gorgeous man... just gorgeous. amazing what a little stained wood does to really finish something off. I bet the beer even tastes better.

thanks for the slick pictures/how to. Ill definitely be saving this thread for later. enjoy

so how many cornys can you get in this if i read the post right 3 and 2 or 3 and 1 or 6 it it is less then 6 do you use all 4 taps or just 3 thanks for the info i really like your keezer

I have had four Cornelius kegs in it, that's three on the floor and one on the hump. I think it would be possible to squeeze in a fifth, but one would have to build a little shelf extending the hump a bit. And, yes, I use all four taps when I am lucky enough to have four full Cornies.

New member here, and just thought i would chime in on the Keezer. I thought about doing the collar set-up but seemed like the taps would be a little low for my preference. I went with drilling the top and putting a tower on the top. I basically did the same prep to the freezer as mentioned before, sand, wipe, paint. I have figured i can put 4 kegs in mine and waiting to buy two single tap towers to complement the dual tap tower. The one benefit of the collar is the outside mount for the CO2, i am not brave enough to put a hole threw the side of mine.

Lowes Freezer - $100
Perlick Brass Tower - $66
Spray Paint - $7
Cold draft beer after work - drunken happiness:drunk:

sstruhs

Welcome to HBT.:)
Yes, most would agree that it is best not to drill through the sides.
I beleive this is the image you were refering to?
P9290339.jpg

Added 2 more taps and bottle opener/catcher.

IMG_1757.jpg

Last thing is to add a diptray but I really don't feel like forking out $80 - $120. So, this is what I am going to use:

6937607781077lg.jpg

http://www.lowes.com/pd_245671-5183...+mud&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=kobalt+mud

$14 is right up my alley! I'll just put the magnets on the "Kobalt" side. I don't think I will care that you won't be able to sit a glass on top of it. If that turns out not to be true, I'll just make one out of something that I can sit inside the mud tray.

Anyway, it actually matches the bottle cap catcher pretty damn close. :)

John

Fantastic! I thought I had done a pretty thorough search for a reasonably priced diptray. FAIL! :)

Thanks guys. Just ordered one.

John

looks awesome, now I know what my next project is. living in florida I would put wheels on mine since we do not have a basement and space is limited.
hate to ask but what do you figure you spent on the project?

hate to ask but what do you figure you spent on the project?

I have not totalled it all up but I did run down some of the costs in this post. The biggest cost is a new freezer. I got mine on sale for about $199. You may be able find a used freezer for next to nothing that can be salvaged. Also the Perlick taps were on sale at the time. It can get spendy if you have to buy everything full price. Watch out for sales and shop around.

Back