Pumping Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

korndog

Reaction score
I got my hands on a March 7.2 GPM Hi Temp. pump. What are the flow considerations when pumping from MT to kettle or recirculating? Can I use a direct connection to MLT spigot or should I use a grant? Wondering if that flow rate would negatively impact the grain bed.

Thanks
KD

The only thing I've noticed is that when the volume gets low in the MLT, the wort drains a little slower to the pickup tube. If I pump at full flow, the siphon will break earlier than if I'm throttling the flow. While recirculating, I haven't had any problems pumping at full flow.

Your filtering method may also play a role in how fast you're able to pump. I use a keg with a false bottom. A short braid, for example, may not allow enough flow to go wide open.

Lil' Sparky said:
The only thing I've noticed is that when the volume gets low in the MLT, the wort drains a little slower to the pickup tube. If I pump at full flow, the siphon will break earlier than if I'm throttling the flow. While recirculating, I haven't had any problems pumping at full flow.

Your filtering method may also play a role in how fast you're able to pump. I use a keg with a false bottom. For example, a short braid may not allow enough flow for the full rate.

Thank you for your reply. I am using a copper manifold that I just made, so I am not sure how well it works. How does one throttle back the flow? Does it affect the pump in any way?

Thanks again.

For magnetic pumps, I've always heard it's best to throttle the flow with a valve on the outlet of the pump. They're not supposed to run dry, and if there's too much pressure, the magnetic drive just slips. I don't think it causes any damage to the pump.

Lil' Sparky said:
BTW, what model did you get? Most of us use a 809HS, which is rated at 5.3 GPM.

Yep, that's the one I have too. It says 7.2 gpm on the box, and Northern Brewer has this on their site.

March 809 Magnetic Impeller Pump

A high-quality, inexpensive wort pump. This 1/25 horsepower magnetic drive seal-less pump has a polysulfone head, rated for food grade use up to 250° F. It has a maximum flow rate of 7.2 gallons per minute, and a maximum head of 12.1 feet. The head has 1/2" MPT inlets and outlets. The motor housing is not drip-proof, so you should locate the pump in a dry location.

We stock two models, a pre-wired model with a six foot cord and a three-prong 110 V plug, and a model with a three foot electrical lead that should be wired into a 110 volt AC switch (not included).
#40184 March 809HS-PL Pump - 6 foot power cord and plug $135.99
EACH BUY
#7351 March 809HS-PL Pump - 3 foot wire leads (no plug) $117.99
EACH BUY

Well, that's the one you want. Just different sources on the flow rates, I guess. This is where I got the 5.3 GPM. Whatever it is, it's just about right for homebrew purposes. :D

Interesting.

Well, I'm off to fire up the strike water for the no-sparge experiment.
I'll post efficiency in no-sparge thread later.

Lil' Sparky said:

Your filtering method may also play a role in how fast you're able to pump. I use a keg with a false bottom. A short braid, for example, may not allow enough flow to go wide open.

Yep, had to work towards the end. Ned to tweak technique.

Back