Gravity reading question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBrewHouse

Reaction score
Brewed a 10 gallon batch of Boch yesterday. Everything went well. My OG reading was 1.055 according to the recipe it should be between 1.064 and 1.067. What does this mean. Did I do something wrong and what effect will this have on the final product. It was a extract brew with 14 lbs of lme and 6 lbs of grain.

I think 1.055 sounds more accurate. BeerSmith suggests 14 pounds of LME in 10 gallons has a gravity of 1.053.

The 1.064-1.067 numbers are probably if you brewed it as a partial mash. In that case, you'd expect to get more sugar from the grains. If you're just steeping the grains, you don't get much conversion.

To learn more about partial mashing, see https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

Yea it originally was a partial mash recipe. Couple more brews and I'll try the technique. Just trying to get the basics down.

It was a extract brew with 14 lbs of lme and 6 lbs of grain.

Kiss Brew is probably right. You most likely just didn't get conversion on your grain. I've done it a few times myself.

+1 on the link to Deathbrewer's partial mash technique. It's how I brew 90% of my beers.

Back