I love this bar...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radarbrew

Reaction score
Alaska, Honey, there's a moose on the back porch a
Cool website, lots of info. So my first batch was extract and grains, is that "partial mash"? I did an all extract a while back, not too good. Lots of water , sugar and yeast. I almost quit right there. Tasted terrible, and was just wrong. The last batch is medium brown, tasty, and has a cool hop smell. It was a kit, :D Wow. I gotta do that again.
Anyhow, what do you folks do with the leftover grains after you steep them? I was tempted..they smelled like a really GOOD hot breakfast cereal....

That is just an extract with grains, EG is you will. Nothing wrong with that however. I've made some good beers that way. Partial mash is when you incorporate some sparging to extract a little bit more sugars from the grains. As for you spent grain question, I just toss mine. You can always spread them outside too for the animals to chomp on. Good to hear you didn't drop out of the runnings too soon! Keep up the brewing!

From what I have picked up.

Partial mash is adding sugar content and flavour to the wort from some grain. (Getting the enzymes working on the starch) Sparging required.

Steeping is adding flavour from the grains. Just soak in the wort at less than 160f for the specified/required time then remove. no sparging required.

Welcome to boards, Radar. Good to see you're sticking with it.

As far as Steeping vs Mashing, we've had some recent discussion on this very topic. Either drop it in the search box in the top-right or browse around.

Brew on :)

I admit I have eaten some of my spent grains. Like so many things, they smell better than they taste. I put them out back for the deer and other critters. The local brewpub, Golden Valley Brewery, trucks their spent grain, hops & trub over to the owners' Angus beef ranch. Mark says it's high in protein. Some day I'll try baking some in bread.

Okay, that explains why the squirrels were going berzerk, in the pines behind the garage. I dumped all grains and old trub there.
Thanks for the recipe, though, I will try it.
I gotta fill the leftover Grolsch bottles, my buddies found out about the brew, and I just gotta share. Might even get a couple to brew some of their own. Either way, the last batch is going pretty fast. I guess it says they like it too. Now I KNOW I gotta do this again! :p

Back