Third Ever Homebrew is Done!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerrific

Reaction score
I brewed my third ever homebrew last night: AHS Hefeweizen kit.

I have to say that the third time was the charm. Everything went off without a hitch. It came out a little darker than I was expecting. I added 8oz. of 20-L crystal and the malt extract was over a year old so it might be expected. The OG was 1.048 right where AHS predicted.

Pitched the yeast at around 9:30pm last night and there was bubbling in the airlock at 6:30am this morning. My house is right around 75-80 degrees so I put a wet towel on it just so it doesn't get too warm.

Questions:
I don't have a carboy, but I have a second bucket. Is it worth using the second bucket for a secondary? I guess my only worry is the oxygen in the headspace.

How long should I aim for it in the secondary. I have heard that hefeweizens don't do too well for too long.

With that Hefe, I wouldn't worry about it. Just leave it in the primary until it's finished, or maybe a little longer, default is about 10 days. Then to the bottling bucket, or corny.

I'm lazy when it comes to secondaries, and there are certainly other views, but it's a Hef, isn't the point to keep yeast in solution?

Yeah, just make sure the fermentation is complete. I've had hefe's that I bottled to soon and the combination of the strong clove undertone and excessive carbonation (from bottling with too many fermentables remaining) caused a brew that was okay...? But a little "bitey".

Back