Montrachet yeast for Skeeter Pee?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honkey

Reaction score
After seeing the skeeter pee thread and realizing how inexpensive it is to make, I figured I should give it a shot. I have read some discussion on which yeast to use. I already have an apfelwein (made with Great Value apple juice cocktail) fermenting and I was considering using that yeast slurry unless the general consensus is that it is better to just buy a different yeast and make a starter. What do you guys think?

Also, I have seen a lot of people say how good the Skeeter Pee is, but I haven't seen anyone describe the taste. Does anybody have a good review of what it tastes like and what yeast you used or any alterations you made?

I started a Skeeter Pee usinging an extra Red Star Montrachet i had lying around after making my apfelwein. I used Blueberry Juice as starter though, worked great and finished fermenting in about a week. Started on the 27th and when I tasted it 2nd day fermenting @ 1.055 when there was still sugar it tasted great (O.G. 1.08). Have not tasted it since I racked at 1.00, and I am now deciding what type of sweetener to use. Thinking about using stevia, but have no idea what the conversion would be to cane/corn sugar. Anyone use stevia in their brews before?

I will post back how the montrachet ferments out the skeeter Pee when it is done and bottled in 3-4 weeks.

I used a Montrachet slurry from a previous wine batch (Tangerine base) and my Skeeter Pee took off Fantastic. I am into the 2nd week of Secondary and it's still bubbling. I can't speak for taste yet but I've had positive results so far.

Normal Skeeter Pee recipe. Yeast slurry came from the 2nd rack of 3gal's tangerine wine. Not even washed. I just took the Lees I racked off of, and dumped into mason jar. A week in the fridge and then into my Skeeter Must (removed from fridge the day before)

Back