How long can grain sit before a second run?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobydaddy

Reaction score
I am new to home brew. I have just completed my fourth batch of all grain.(dart porters). I have left my ludertun/cooler with my spent grain overnight after brewing my batches.. I was lazy and clean it up the next morning. Today 8 hours after I finished I noticed the temp was still over 100 degrees and opened the valve and gained just shy or a gallon of wort. I added a gallon of hot water(120f ish) to the grain. I ended up with about a gallon and a half and took a hydromerter reading and still read 1.065.
My question is before I just throwout or compost my spent grain can I run a second batch after a nights sleep and I clean my boil kettle. Or will I be releasing off flavors. I do not think I need to worry about bacteria since I will be boiling out the second run wort.
And should I raise the sparge water temp back up near 170 and let it sit for a bit. Id guess add near boiling water to make a five gallon batch of lighter brew.probably some sort of lager
Thank you in addvance for any advice.
Tom

i think the problem is the extraction of unwanted tannins and other nasties. cool experiment throw it in a gallon carboy and ferment, might be awesome..

I just finished boiling it out with my spent hops.. and yes placed it in a gallon carboy filled near the top with a blowoff tube. I do beleave it is still so strong in flavor it should override the nasties.
I guess my next question is how to carbonate it once done since I keg into soda kegs. Should I prime it with dextose and back into a gallon carboy/growler?
And then how much dextrose for one gallon?
again thank you
Tom

i wouldnt bottle prime it in a gallon carboy, dont think they are designed to handle preasure. most of the gallon batches i made fill a 6 pack, do you have any bottling equipment?

A couple of things I'd consider before doing a partigyle type brew (where you brew two beers out of the same grain). One, if your still getting runnings out at 1.065! then you're not efficiently lautering the grain bed. I mean, my first runnings are that high sometimes!

So, I'd fix any issues with technique first, and then if you're still interested in a partigyle brew, read up on it. I probably wouldn't do it as an overnight mash, as I'd worry too much about souring/lacto infection. But partigyle is a respected way to get two beers out of one grain bill, more or less.

I did it , and let it set and sour overnight.. ran it off and ran the runnings back through the grain again. boiled and hopped it...definitely has a sour aspect to it but one of my favorite beers I have made so far.

As for my my grain bill for my last batch... it was a dubble batch 10 gallons .. 8lbs of two row pale. 9 lbs of munich 2lbs of crystal 1 1/2lbs chocolate and 1lb of black rye. That's 21 1/2 lb grain bill. My first run gave me 1.070 gravity. I am shur there is still body left in the grain bed. It would be nice to have a lighter bodied brew if I can dedicate time after a four hour brew.. time is the issue. I need sleep. I would like to try a second running next brew probably at the end of the month when I clear out my carboys. I am still very much a novice but seem to be catching on real quick. Hell my first ever batch came out as THE BEST beer I ever had. I guess my only question is will I die by letting my grain sit while I sleep, maybe by producing methonal or other toxic byproducts. As you hear about bad moonshine
Tom

Hell my first ever batch came out as THE BEST beer I ever had.

Most people feel this way, you know, proud parent syndrome. Then they eventually start making decent beer and their adorable first offspring suddenly reminds them of something spurted from Satans anus.

Back