115th hop bursted IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brasco20

Reaction score
So i was planning on writing this thread to ask one question, but after my brewing session i have another. The brew is from northern brewers, an IPA that has a pound of hops. I was doing my normal brewing session adding the lme and the hops in increments when i decided to add some of the hopps without turning the gas off. BIG MISTAKE! Im brewing on my stove top, and for those of you who havent experienced this, turn off the gas. The instant the hops hit the boil, that sucker boiled over like you cant believe, what a mess. The front and sides of the stove weren't too bad to clean, but the top where it had burnt on, man oh man, my hand is throbbing. So my first question is, will it turn out the same. I lost about 3 quarts of the wort, had a little more than half of the hops already added, the rest were added after the incident. Im thinking it might be a little on the weak side, what do you guys think?

Second question, the instuctions say this beer needs 2 months to age, 2 weeks primary then on to a secondary. It says secondary is recommended. I was thinking that 2 weeks in the primary isnt long enough, but with a pound of hops im not sure. I thought i would do a month in the primary and a month in the secondary and then keg. Whats your thoughts on this?

Thanks for the help!

how big of a boil did you do? what was your OG
and are there dry hops? this will decide when you secondary also post the recipe and gravities these all decide aging times

off topic i lived in butte when i was really little

First, I'm sure it'll be slightly weaker than if you hadn't lost 3 quarts and some hops, but it is what it is. I am sure it'll be just fine.

Second, I'd primary for two weeks. If you are doing any dry hopping, do it after the fermentation is complete. Fermentation won't take any longer with more hops in there. Just treat it like any other beer you make.

Not sure about the og, at that point i just wanted it over with. No dry hopping, 2oz cluster at the begging of boil, 2 oz at 30 min, 12 oz hopburst blend in intervals towards end of boil, 6lbs amber lme, 6 lbs gold lme, and 2 lbs sugar. I boiled 2.5 gallons, called for 3 but my kettle isnt big enough.

I ask about the aging time cause ive been skipping the secondary and doing the primary 4 weeks before kegging. As the recipe calls for 2 months, could i still do the primary for a month, then go to secondary?

PS Butte is the best place on the planet, I love living here!

holy crap thats gonna be a big beer!!!! i think a month primary and month secondary will be the bare minimum that you need to gey this to age out what kind of yeast did you use how much etc. i ask b ecaus e thats alot of sugar for yeast to chew thru what di the recipe say for an estimated FG? thats an og of 1.100 loosing three quarts shouldn't effect it nearly as much as it would if it was a low ABV beer you will still be 9% easy

The website said 2 months, looking at the work sheet it says OG 1.088 and ready in 3 months. The yeast is wyeast 1056 american ale, i used a starter for the first time, it started fermenting in like 3 hours.

I kegged the beer after 3 months. The taste isnt quite what i was thinking, but ive been getting some off flavors from kegging, so i have it sitting, hoping some time will help things out. Im back to bottling for the time being, until i get the issue in the kegs figured out. I brewed a barley wine last night, so when thats bottled ill probably brew this again and bottle. Im going to leave one carboy dedicated to aging brews.

Keep in mind that IPA's don't age terribly well - with time the hop aromas (in particular) start to fade...hence Dogfish's creation of the Randal the Enamel Animal...

How did the beer end up after letting it set a little? I just got my starter going for it today and am going to brew on Thursday and also was brewing this for keg.

I think this is a very good kit. I have made it a couple of times. It has a very short window of time at its peak. The challenge is waiting long enough for the heat (hot alcohol) to subside but not too long or you will lose the hop flavor and aroma. I did 4 week primary, straight to keg and felt it peaked about 6 weeks later. The drinking window was 2 - 3 months from brew day. This is just my $.02. Your results may vary.

Thanks for the input! That helps a lot!! I'm pretty excited to brew it and see how it turns out.

I think this is a very good kit. I have made it a couple of times. It has a very short window of time at its peak. The challenge is waiting long enough for the heat (hot alcohol) to subside but not too long or you will lose the hop flavor and aroma. I did 4 week primary, straight to keg and felt it peaked about 6 weeks later. The drinking window was 2 - 3 months from brew day. This is just my $.02. Your results may vary.

I brewed mine on June 30. I'll be checking for FG today and if it's on target then I'll put it into cold crash and get ready to secondary in the keg. I'm excited about this beer for sure!

jaytizzle said:
I brewed mine on June 30. I'll be checking for FG today and if it's on target then I'll put it into cold crash and get ready to secondary in the keg. I'm excited about this beer for sure!

This is a stupid question on my part, what is cold crash?

does anyone know what hops are in the hop blend?
i think i read it's 4 hops and the additions are .75 oz each, so 3 oz at each addition.

would dryhopping give this a longer peak window?

cold crash is putting the whole carboy or bucket into refrigerated temps for a few days to get all of the yeast and other particles to settle out and form a firm cake on the bottom. I put my carboy in the refrigerator at 32F for 2-3 days before transferring to secondary or kegging/bottling. This helps to clarify the beer, reduce the amount of sediment/trub that you pick up during racking, and as an added benefit for me gets the beer cold so I can carb quickly in the keg.

ManyBrews - I'm not sure dry hopping would help much. I'll know more after I actually get to taste this one in a few weeks!

does anyone know what hops are in the hop blend?
i think i read it's 4 hops and the additions are .75 oz each, so 3 oz at each addition.

would dryhopping give this a longer peak window?

I'm not sure what type of hops are in the blend yet either. Hopefully I'll get a little idea when I brew and open it up and smell.

We just made this one from the extract kit, did the full 2 months as requested. Once kegged, at first the alcohol flavors were a bit too much, but mellowed out in a week or so. It's a very good IPA, albeit a bit too sweet for my tastes.

Back