first time laggering. few questions about cali yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
I brewed a basic amber lager that was 90% 2-row and 10% crystal 60. OG was 1.048. I am using white labs san francisco lager yeast but have a few questions about fermintation times and lagering time. After about 8 days the fermintation has stopped. I plan on doing 2 full weeks in primary then to secondary. Because this is kind of a hybrid yeast do i need to do a long lager in the secondary or would 3-4 weeks in secondary be okay? Also would it be fine to leave the secondary at 66 F as it is a warmer lager yeast or do i still need to lager at cold temp. If i need to get it cold I will have to put it in a corny keg and into the kegerator which i would really rather prefer not to.

You can do it either way. A secondary at 66 is fine, but keep in mind you'll still have to do a few months of lagering. So...regardless of how you choose to proceed, you'll have to condition it at around 35F for a few months. I usually skip secondary and do a 4 week primary. I haven't used hybrid yeasts too much, but I don't think a lagering process is absolutely neccissary with them...it just helps. Just make sure your yeast is going to be stable at 35-40F.

Back