building a brutus, any recommendations, changes, updates?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finally got the green light and the resources for my Brutus 10 build. And I am looking for any changes or updates to the design. For instance I have seen some with the gas valves on the front for easier access. Others have an autolighting pilot system. What have you all seen or done that is different than Lonnie's Legendary plans that works for you?

I am really psyched on this project and can't wait to hear back. Is there a dedicated brutus section on this site? I have been reading tons of stuff here about Brutus but just don't have the time to go through all of it!

Thanks in advance

brew strong and pitch cold, live long and laugh as you grow old!!!!!!!

Midas Redfield

I recommend electric :mug:

Here is an ALL BRUTE FORCE thread

(mine is on page 2)
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/brutus-thread-show-us-your-brutus-167077/

I replaced the gas burners with 9000W electric heat as it is much faster (10 gallons from 50F to 170F in 20 minutes), needs no venting and is more economical (full brew session, heating strike, running the RIMS and the boil for under $2)

I replaced the PIDs with a BCS460 and married that with a wireless bridge so that I can control the system wirelessly from my PC. Read, no switches or control panel...

I replaced the March 809s with LG 3-MD-HC pumps because they have 2x the flow of the March and prime much easier IMHO. They are also WHISPER quiet, my 105CFM muffin fan is louder than the TWO pumps when they are both running!

You are in for some fun Midas. We just finished up doing a double Brutus build in my shop. We used 16 gauge Stainless Steel, where Lonnie used 11 gauge, 16 is fine IMO. I used impinged jet burners and Ubermick did Banjo burners, we haven't done a boil off to see which is faster yet.

The gas beam was living hell for us to get it to stop leaking. My advice is to have it welded 'preferably TIG' and sealed at both ends then pressure tested. Only then, carefully weld it into the frame.

Allow WAAAYYY more time than you think it will take. I still scratch my head and wonder at people who say they build it in a weekend. They must be much more skilled than I.

We used the double display Auber PID controllers. It's nice to have your set temperature on display with the actual temperature. They have a dumb down mode where they operate like Love controllers, if that's what you want. They are similar in price to single display Loves. I haven't tweaked the parameters completely yet, but I think the PID will be superior at hitting and holding temps. I'll post a thread on my results when I'm done.

If you have any specific questions, let us know and we'll try to answer from our experience.

Thanks to you both boys! I appreciate the input, both of you seem to offer very wise mods that are worth consideration. And thanks for the brute force thread link!

Good on ya both!

And ditto on the weekend build. The only way I see that happening is if you have access to a fabrication shop or everything is cut, wired and ready to assemble. I can see perhaps then the assembly might take me a weekend. I am really looking forward to this build now!

Thanks to you both boys! I appreciate the input, both of you seem to offer very wise mods that are worth consideration. And thanks for the brute force thread link!

Good on ya both!

And ditto on the weekend build. The only way I see that happening is if you have access to a fabrication shop or everything is cut, wired and ready to assemble. I can see perhaps then the assembly might take me a weekend. I am really looking forward to this build now!

I had the luxury of having a good friend who has his own shop, 17 years TIG welding experience and all specializes in sanitary SS work. Having the right tools and a shop saves A LOT of time and effort.

I have about 300 hours of fabrication in mine, the worst of which was the tedious task of wiring. Now it is for sale and I dont know what direction I will go in once it sells.

Back