Roselare Blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon O

Knapsnatchio
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
it's available now, this is a great blend.

I just put a smack pack in some SWMBO slayer. Wanted to sour a belgian blonde for mixing purposes later on.

Anyone ever had an experience with bad flavors from this blend?

I put an English IPA onto Roeselare blend after it finished fermenting out (from about 1.065 to 1.015), its been about three months, small pellicle-like thing formed and I saw airlock activity (have not taken a gravity reading) and evidence of further fermentation, but it tastes like burnt rubber now...

Anyone ever had an experience with bad flavors from this blend?

I put an English IPA onto Roeselare blend after it finished fermenting out (from about 1.065 to 1.015), its been about three months, small pellicle-like thing formed and I saw airlock activity (have not taken a gravity reading) and evidence of further fermentation, but it tastes like burnt rubber now...

An English IPA is an unusual choice for this yeast, and I suspect some of the funky flavors are a function of hop/funk interactions and the age (or lack thereof) of the beer. Three months is just barely out of the womb for the bugs in this blend.

Well, it wasn't really an IPA, it was supposed to be a hoppy english pale, but I got really poor hop utilization...we'll see what happens after a year.

I wouldn't use the Roselare blend with an IPA. It works really well in ales with low low IBUs. I made a Flemish Red with it in May 2008 and had a nice, sour, beer by middle of August. It fermented in a hot room of my house all summer at 77-83F. I primaried with it for 5 weeks, out of laziness. The brett took hold and the beer was awesome. I was pleasantly surprised because I thought it needed 6 months at the very least.

Also in May of 2008 I mixed the Roselare blend with Wyeast 3278 (both in primary together). A year later I've got one >>incredible<< sour beer.

Alright, like I stated before I will be brewing one of these this Sunday. But the homebrew store only had one pack of roeselare, so I am going to ferment 5 gallons of it with that in the primary and the other ten I will use a European ale strain. I will then blend these once it is time to rack off the ale strain and let them chill in a barrel for a year or so. My question is will this be enough of the bugs to sour or should I mail order another pack and pitch it when I blend them all into the barrel? I want this to be really sour, like Ommegang Rogue Grand Cru kinda sour...so I am thinking I will either get another pack of this or just buy a pack of pure pedio :cool:

One more thing, for those of you who primary fermented with the roeselare how long did it take before krausen dropped? I assume it was about the same as a regular ale fermentation since I have heard it is just a cal ale strain.

>>should I mail order another pack and pitch it when I blend them all into the barrel?<<

You could do that -- you'll be increasing the same balance of microbes though. I would buy a few bottles of your favorite Krieks, save the dregs, grow up a large amount of slurry and pitch that.

What Euro strain are you using in the others? I've read that WY3522 is an excellent base beer to funk out in secondary.

>>One more thing, for those of you who primary fermented with the roeselare how long did it take before krausen dropped? I assume it was about the same as a regular ale fermentation since I have heard it is just a cal ale strain.<<

It truly varies. My 10 gallons of sour pale was primaried with it and one half of it took off SO FAST and SO CRAZY that by the second day I needed a blow off tube! No joke! One week later it was done. The other half by comparison took just under three weeks and was not as active. I have no idea why this happened.

I pitched 10gal of Oud Bruin on a Roselare cake from 5 gallons of Flanders Red, and it was spewing CO2 like mad in 2 hours and it was done the next day.

You could do that -- you'll be increasing the same balance of microbes though. I would buy a few bottles of your favorite Krieks, save the dregs, grow up a large amount of slurry and pitch that.

What Euro strain are you using in the others? I've read that WY3522 is an excellent base beer to funk out in secondary.
So you think just the one pack will create the same sourness as two packs? The ale I am using is Wyeast 1338, pretty neutral malty strain. I also emailed this question to wyeast and this was the response I got:
Wyeast labs said:
Kyle,

I would give your method a shot. Considering you are adding the beer to
a barrel, I think you should have good Brett flavor development and also
good acid production. Be sure to keep the hopping levels low to allow
the lactic acid bacteria to work well in the 5 gallons of Roselare
blend.

Please let me know if you have other questions.

Jess Caudill
Brewer/Microbiologist
Wyeast Laboratories

Personally I would go ahead and pitch the second pack if you can get one. But I would definitely add more bugs from other bottles to get a more complex final product (and more sour).

I mixed a pack of 3278 with a pack of 3763 in 5 gallons of primary and was very pleased with the results a year later.

So you think just the one pack will create the same sourness as two packs? The ale I am using is Wyeast 1338, pretty neutral malty strain. I also emailed this question to wyeast and this was the response I got:

An extra pack wont hurt, as some of the organisms are slower growers, and could take a very long time to build up to large quantities for a 15gal batch, personally I prefer adding some dregs of sour beers to the mix, otherwise it never gets sour enough - the barrel should help immensely though

Personally I would go ahead and pitch the second pack if you can get one. But I would definitely add more bugs from other bottles to get a more complex final product (and more sour).

I mixed a pack of 3278 with a pack of 3763 in 5 gallons of primary and was very pleased with the results a year later.

As far Ive heard both packs contain the same stuff, albeit in different proportions, hmm maybe its time for some streak plates..........

Back