2nd brew batch - Simple Hefe recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axr

Reaction score
Hey homebrew homies-

Got a couple of quick questions on the below recipe a buddy passed along for brewing a Hefe:

8.5 lbs Wheat Liquid Malt Extract (LME)
1 oz Hallertau (4% AA – full boil)
White Labs Hefeweizen (WLP300)
[ SG 1.050 / FG 1.012]

The package of Hallertau I picked up was 1 oz. @ 3% AA. So I purchased two packages. My first quetion is, Should I just use 1/3 of the second package to equal 4% per the recipe? Will increasing the ounces effect the wort?

I purchased 3 cans of 3.3 lbs. Wheat LME and the recipe calls for 8.5 lbs. Can I just use 2/3 of the third can to equal 8.5 or should I use the whole can? (I plan on utilizing this recipe for a 5 gal. batch)

I've never used a liquid yeast. Not sure if I'm ready to prepare a starter on this, so can I simply let the yeast sit for 1-2 hours before pitching into cooled wort?

Finally, does anyone have any comments or recco's on this recipe? It seems way too easy.

Oh, one last thing I was planning on doing a primary of 5-7 days and a seconday for 5-7 days then bottling for 2 weeks. Doesa this sound right? I;ve heard and read that Hefe's do not require as much fermentation time.

thx!
axr

Hey homebrew homies-

Got a couple of quick questions on the below recipe a buddy passed along for brewing a Hefe:

8.5 lbs Wheat Liquid Malt Extract (LME)
1 oz Hallertau (4% AA – full boil)
White Labs Hefeweizen (WLP300)
[ SG 1.050 / FG 1.012]

The package of Hallertau I picked up was 1 oz. @ 3% AA. So I purchased two packages. My first quetion is, Should I just use 1/3 of the second package to equal 4% per the recipe? Will increasing the ounces effect the wort?

I purchased 3 cans of 3.3 lbs. Wheat LME and the recipe calls for 8.5 lbs. Can I just use 2/3 of the third can to equal 8.5 or should I use the whole can? (I plan on utilizing this recipe for a 5 gal. batch)

I've never used a liquid yeast. Not sure if I'm ready to prepare a starter on this, so can I simply let the yeast sit for 1-2 hours before pitching into cooled wort?

Finally, does anyone have any comments or recco's on this recipe? It seems way too easy.

Oh, one last thing I was planning on doing a primary of 5-7 days and a seconday for 5-7 days then bottling for 2 weeks. Doesa this sound right? I;ve heard and read that Hefe's do not require as much fermentation time.

thx!
axr

i've never made a recipe for a hef, so i cant give the best advice there-i will say with nothing but wheat that i think it will be very bland.

a starter is really no big deal, but yeah you can use the liquid as is.

i would go atleast 10 days in the primary-let it do its thing. maybe a week in the secondary. you will most likely need 3 weeks in the bottle to get the proper carbonation in the very least.

hope that helps.

Im a noob (7 batches) and i just did my first hefe yesterday. I used liquid yeast for the first time too. I made a starter 2 days ahead of time but you dont have to. I just boiled 2 cups water with 1/2 cup DME and a pinch of yeast nutrient. Boiled for 10 to 15 mins and cooled and pitched. It was really easy. I pitched this into my batch at midnight and woke to the sound of my airlock blowing off my carboy at 530 this morning. By the way thers no need for a secondary on this recipe b/c its supposed to be cloudy. Heres the recipe I did

Hefeweizen (Franziskaner clone)
6.25 lbs. Muntons wheat DME
4.0 oz. Belgian or German aromatic malt
2.0 oz. Acid malt
2.25 oz. Maltodextrin
1.0 oz. Hallertau hops (3.0%)
.25 oz. Perle hops (6.87%)
.25 oz. Spalt hops (2.6%)
White Labs Hefeweizen ale yeast (WLP300)

Bring 1 gallon water to 155* and steep specialty grains for 30 to 40 minutes.
Sparge with 1 to 2 gallons of 155* water and bring to a boil.
Add extract and maltodextrin and bring to a boil for 60 to 70 minutes.
Add Hallertau hops.
After 45 minutes add Perle and Spalt hops.
Cool, top off to 5 gallons and pitch yeast starter.

Thanx for the recipe bjzelectric.

Got a question for you, I didn't see irish moss/whirfloc in your recipe. Did you not use any? I'm brewing now according to the recipe I have and am considering tossing some in. I know it's purpose is to clear up the wort in fermentation. I also know that a Hefe is supposed to have some cloudiness to I don't want it to be overly hazy. Any tips?

BTW, At what temp are you fermenting your Hefe?

Secondaries are not required.

I ALWAYS secondary EVERYTHING...including Hefe Weizens.

The extra time allows more yeast to fall out. I can always add more back into the bottling bucket if I think it needs it.

The less yeast going to the bottle the less gets to your glass...(and your a$$ as some may say...;)).

your recipe looks fine there is nothing wrong with it at all. that is a very simple heffe. the liquid yeast dosnt need a starter for your recipe and there is really no reason to do a secondary but if you want to then do it. you also dont need the irish moss with a heffe its not really needed. the first wheat i brewed was a very simple recipe like this and it turned out great so dont think everything needs to be complicted to be good.

why did you use acid malt?

Im a noob (7 batches) and i just did my first hefe yesterday. I used liquid yeast for the first time too. I made a starter 2 days ahead of time but you dont have to. I just boiled 2 cups water with 1/2 cup DME and a pinch of yeast nutrient. Boiled for 10 to 15 mins and cooled and pitched. It was really easy. I pitched this into my batch at midnight and woke to the sound of my airlock blowing off my carboy at 530 this morning. By the way thers no need for a secondary on this recipe b/c its supposed to be cloudy. Heres the recipe I did

Hefeweizen (Franziskaner clone)
6.25 lbs. Muntons wheat DME
4.0 oz. Belgian or German aromatic malt
2.0 oz. Acid malt
2.25 oz. Maltodextrin
1.0 oz. Hallertau hops (3.0%)
.25 oz. Perle hops (6.87%)
.25 oz. Spalt hops (2.6%)
White Labs Hefeweizen ale yeast (WLP300)

Bring 1 gallon water to 155* and steep specialty grains for 30 to 40 minutes.
Sparge with 1 to 2 gallons of 155* water and bring to a boil.
Add extract and maltodextrin and bring to a boil for 60 to 70 minutes.
Add Hallertau hops.
After 45 minutes add Perle and Spalt hops.
Cool, top off to 5 gallons and pitch yeast starter.

Just used it cuz it was in the recipe that i got but i also researched it and found that it was originally used for brewers who had very alkaline water but eventually found that it adds flavor too. Ill let you know if it is noticeable.

Hey ben

A bit of extra malt extract means the gods of homebrew want you to make a starter. Belgian's usually go off like a rocket during primary, but with a liquid yeast vial and some extra malt in your hands, go ahead and make a starter. Do a search on making a starter, keep it simple, and keep things sanitized and you will be fine. The addition of extra hops to make up the required bitterness is spot on. Hefe's are not bitter to begin with, so don't fret about that. Maybe think about adding your flavour and aroma hops a little later (like 2 - 5 mins before flameout) to get the hop aroma into the brew. With a basic recipe that you have, make the most out of your hops, and Hallertau are great for flavour and aroma. As for fermentation times, look at your hydrometer to guide you. If you don't have one, or don't really want to use one, no worries, just give it 3 weeks in the primary (Hefe's dont need secondary - the suspended yeast makes the beer genuine!) and go ahead and bottle. RDWHAHB.

Alright, I've finally concluded after reading a bunch of threads that I will not be going to a secondary with my recently brewed Hefe. I now plan on keeping it in the primary for 2 weeks (brew date 4.19) and has been fermenting at a constant 65F. Since I'm not planning on racking to secondary I thought I would relocate the primary to a cooler room in my basement (52F-ish) after the first week and let it "kind of" clear and condition for the second week prior to bottling. Has anyone done this or recommend this?

My current SG is at 1.029 ( I have a little to go since I'm shooting for about 1.015 based on yeast attenuation --- OG 1.060 temp corrected) and tasted the wort yesterday and itis fanfrickingtastic. Want to make sure it stays on that track!

Back