Ale Pail - How Hot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, I've seen a crazy video of someone using a bucket to boil in with an electric heating element. It's insane.

Great!

I want to collect my mash and sparges together to get my gravity and want to know my volume, too.

The gallon marks on the pail will make that easier and since I am still doing PM until I get my efficiency up, the pail is big enough.

I'm still hitting around 55-60% and am working on finding out why.

When googling "hot liquid ale pail" I found this thread at the top of my results. So I thought it would be appropriate for anyone else who found this to have the following info:

HDPE or High Density Poly Ethelene plastic has an amazing temperature range, and is considered safe for short periods up to 248°F (120°C) or for long periods up to 230°F (110°C.) Since boiling water never gets above 100°C, this means that anything boiling and below is safe for a food grade bucket.

It’s important to make sure the bucket you are storing hot liquids in is HDPE however, as a similar plastic, low density polyethelene, actually has a temperature limit of 176°F (80°C) which is well below boiling. To see which type of plastic you are working with, just check the small recycling symbol usually found on the bottom of the bucket. HDPE is the one you want to see!

From http://fivegallonideas.com/plastic-types-old/

FYI - My Ale Pail says HDPE on the bottom.

Man, I've seen a crazy video of someone using a bucket to boil in with an electric heating element. It's insane.

I do that, but I haven't made a video. 5500W will bring 4 gallons to a full boil really fast.

I just made sure I have a bucket with .090 wall thickness and not .070 because the plastic loses strength when it's hot.

I've boiled water in my ale pail with a HotRod when I thought I might have an infection (turned out to be chloramine).

I don't recommend it for brewing though, as who knows whether they are food safe at boiling temperatures.

Back