All-Grain Spring Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MRbutlertron

Reaction score
Looking to make a delicious all-grain beer to kick off spring and want to get it started early to give the beer plenty of time to let it do its thing. Does anyone have any recipes?

-Cheers:mug:

What kind of beer do you like to drink in the spring? Maibock would be a traditional choice (and you've got the time for it). I just did a gose (a tart coriander/salt wheat beer) that I’m hoping will be ready for early spring drinking. IPAs are a nice choice for spring, bring some brightness after the winter.

Oldsock,
I didn't see any lacto in your recipe. It's in the notes, but not in recipe?

Correct, I updated the recipe to make it clearer.

I pitched the Lactobacillus starter after I cooled the beer to about 90 (lacto likes it warm). I let the beer cool the rest of the way naturally overnight. In the morning the lacto was really active so I aerated and pitched the yeast. I was worried about letting the beer get too sour before the yeast got going because Saccharomyces doesn’t like the pH too low.

Thanks Captain Bigelow I think I'm going to try the Patersbier it sounds delicious and relatively easy since this will only be my third all-grain. Do you use a starter pack or make a yeast starter? I'm having some trouble getting one of my beers to start fermenting now and its bugging me out.

What kind of beer do you like to drink in the spring? Maibock would be a traditional choice (and you've got the time for it). I just did a gose (a tart coriander/salt wheat beer) that I’m hoping will be ready for early spring drinking. IPAs are a nice choice for spring, bring some brightness after the winter.

Do you have any recipes for a Maibock? I did some research and am not sure if I will be able to brew lagers considering I don't have the capability to do cold fermentation (below 50 degrees??) I assume this would be a problem and was wondering if you had any solutions or should I just pass on this until I can afford the right equipment?

Do you have any recipes for a Maibock? I did some research and am not sure if I will be able to brew lagers considering I don't have the capability to do cold fermentation (below 50 degrees??) I assume this would be a problem and was wondering if you had any solutions or should I just pass on this until I can afford the right equipment?

To do a real lager you do need controlled fermentation temps, but you can get away with using an ale strain and fermenting cool if you don't mind something slightly fruitier (Kolsch, European Ale, or even American Ale are fine choices). I've never brewed a Maibock so I'll leave the recipe suggestion to someone else.

Back