My second AG experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyer

Reaction score
I did Edwort's Bavarian Wheat on Sunday. I was concerned with getting a low final gravity again like I did with Edwort's pale Ale. It was supposed to come out at 1.051 and I got 1.042.

I just got a weldless valve setup and I made a pickup out of copper pipe. The valve makes it so much easier to drain drain the kettle.

With the wheat I mashed for 90 minutes and stirred it well every 15. I drained that off and then did two seperate sparges with 5 gallons of water at 175. I let each of those sit for about 5 minutes. I collected exactly 6.5 gals. with a gravity of 1.035. I boiled down to 5.5 gallons with a final gravity of 1.045. It was supposed to come out at 1.052. I guess I'm doing a little better. I really think it might be the crush.

The beer will be a little lighter, but still a great beer. I know because I'm drinking my 3rd AG with 1.042 OG.
Actually it taste great. Brewed 20080704, 20080712 racked to keg, 20080713 tasted - light, good, but no flavor. Today - Full flavor, low alcohol, perfect beer for a hot day when your uncontrollable friends are driving.
I'm still working on how to fix my efficiency.

Back