Altbier bitter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zippox

Reaction score
I'll admit that it is taking me a while to come around to really enjoying hops. Occasionally I'll have my IPA or some other hoppy beer, but usually not by choice.

Now I have the excelsior altbier kit from Midwest and was wondering how bitter this is? Would it really pull away from the original style of an altbier if I withheld one ounce of hops (it comes with 3). I feel that I would probably enjoy it more, but then again I don't want to have a beer that really doesn't resemble what I am supposed to be drinking.

Thoughts?

This kit has 2 OZ of Mt Hood for bittering and Hallertau for finishing. It claims to end up with 43 IBUs which is moderately bitter. Thats at the high end for the BJCP guidelines. I think you would be OK dropping .5 oz of the Mt Hood. Holding a full ounce would likely drop you down to around 20 IBUs or so which is below the low end of the BJCP guidelines.

Back